Big beautiful male Tokay

stingray

Arachnobaron
Rusty is almost done with a shed except for his tail as you can see. My camera is not to great but he has powder blue skin with rusty red dots. He is at the 11 inch mark now. He is big, very thick, and very solid. The width of his head is the size of a quarter. I still have not got the gonads to try to hold him yet.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Man he is awesome. You didn't tell me he was 3 inches bigger than mine :). I need to get some new pics of my Goku. Gonna rehouse him soon. That's always fun. Just watched a couple vids today on youtube of a woman holding her tokays. She said they are mostly bark and not much bite. Although when my friend let my golden gecko bite him a few years ago, he sure was singing a different tune. Ha ha.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's a beautiful gecko you've got there :)

Toogledoo

Arachnoknight
Dang, he's fat lol! I have one, but I don't know the sex. Mine definately bites. It's bit me several times. It doesn't really hurt that much, but it's scary. They will draw blood though. :p

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Handsome lizard, and good pics! He is a fat little booger! :) When I used to work with reptiles, I always kept a couple of heavy leather gloves just for the Tokays. Once they bite, they don't always want to turn loose! If they bit the glove, I could take it off and leave it in the enclosure with them to be retrieved later.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That is one gorgeous lizard and awesome poster-child as a healthy captive representative of the species. It ALMOST makes me want to forget about my want for a Grand Terre leachianus and get a Tokay instead! Thanks for sharing, (-;
T

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
She said they are mostly bark and not much bite.
I've seen Tokays bite hard enough to draw blood, and they refuse to let go once they bite. Beautiful, but nasty attitudes.

---------- Post added 02-07-2012 at 11:39 AM ----------

Handsome lizard, and good pics! He is a fat little booger! :) When I used to work with reptiles, I always kept a couple of heavy leather gloves just for the Tokays. Once they bite, they don't always want to turn loose! If they bit the glove, I could take it off and leave it in the enclosure with them to be retrieved later.
Like this :)

Walk Alone

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've seen Tokays bite hard enough to draw blood, and they refuse to let go once they bite. Beautiful, but nasty attitudes.
I've experienced this first hand! They hold on with such gusto that I considered leaving him there and just calling it body art. :-/

SOOOOOO worth it, though. Very pretty creatures. :)

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah i figure they would. Thats what my golden gecko does. You have to hold your hand in his enclosure until he decides to let go.

---------- Post added 02-07-2012 at 11:39 AM ----------

Like this :)

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
A friend of mine took 12 sutures in his hand from one and got a raging staph infection as a bonus. Beautiful animals (and that is a just darned gorgeous shot!) but there is a reason why one can casually take out a medium sized rat.

stingray

Arachnobaron
Thanks all. Yes he is quite a looker. A couple of my friends have some big males as well and I know for a fact that a big male will definately make you get stitches. One of them had to get stitched up. My hands do get very near him when I clean his cage or feed him and he has never done anything. But still I am not in a hurry to try to hold him.

OphidianDelight

Arachnoknight
What a beast! Beautiful. Also, @Snark regarding the stitches--did they come from the bite alone or was it tearing from pulling the gecko off?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
What a beast! Beautiful. Also, @Snark regarding the stitches--did they come from the bite alone or was it tearing from pulling the gecko off?
It got his thumb near the base over the knuckle and thrashed violently and repeatedly like they do when they got a hefty mouse or rat. He submerged his hand in water and it released. Wasn't that bad at the ball where the flesh had movement but cut a semicircle over an inch long to the bone over the knuckle.

OphidianDelight

Arachnoknight
It got his thumb near the base over the knuckle and thrashed violently and repeatedly like they do when they got a hefty mouse or rat. He submerged his hand in water and it released. Wasn't that bad at the ball where the flesh had movement but cut a semicircle over an inch long to the bone over the knuckle.
Yikes. Thanks for sating my curiosity.