Example of what pre-molt looks like

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
Since one of the common questions on here is whether or not such and such spiderling is in pre-molt, I thought I would put up an example of what pre-molt can look like. This is just one example, from one species, at one particular age, so other spiders at other ages will show pre-molt differently.

A couple of weeks, these two slings (B. vagans) looked practically identical.
B. vagans #1: (still has normal sling coloration, though it is quite fat)

B. vagans #2:

In case you're curious, these were taken on Feb. 8th. Sling #2 molted on Sunday (Feb. 12), and Sling #1 is now darkening, about where Sling #2 was in this pic.

Feel free to post more examples to help clarify for others.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Excellent idea for a thread. Here is another B. vagans, taken three days before it molted. Note that there is no bald spot as bald spots do not indicate pre-molt.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Okay I'll play this is my E. campestratus:

***NOT*** in premolt

and a few weeks later ***HEAVY*** premolt

Fuma

Arachnopeon
thanks for this thread

this helps alot... been waiting for my Brachypelma Smithi sling to molt... its been three days and it just sits and sits

Attachments

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's not in premolt.

Fat, though.

I agree though, this was a great idea for a thread. :clap:

Amoeba

Arachnolord
I'll have to agree with xhexdx on it not being in premolt and this being a great idea for a thread. I'd vote this for a sticky of some kind.

Another suggestion is for someone to get a good picture of a slings abdomen and circle and label the heart and urticating hair patch (mirror patch too if it applies).

So far everything is new world specimens where are the old worlders?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Old worlders are much harder to identify premolt with, imo.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
even with OW tarantulas one could take a hair brush and disrupt a small patch of setae on the abdomen for molt marker, if one was dedicated and wanted to endure the typical OW pissyness for such a thing.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
wait......how do all you know that the ts are in premolt?:sarcasm: im gonna have to be a follower and agree this is a Very good thread topic... maybe itll help weed out some of the more redundant questions.

toast4nat

Arachnosquire
Note how all the T's in premolt are very dark and almost shiny (especially noticeable with paassatt's LP)

I find that on larger T's, premolt is easier to determine when they do have a bald area from kicking, that way you can see the normally pinkish exo (non-premolt) turn black (premolt).

mark e sic

Arachnosquire
this is actually very helpful:)
so i know that brighter colored T.s get duller in pre molt but from what im getting in this thread. when in premolt T.s tend to have darker exo.?

harmroelf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There is another way to tell if OW species are in pre-molt.
Especially with the somewhat younger spiders, u a can see at the vental side (belly) The sternum. When this turns really dark, they are in pre-molt. I can tell exactly by looking at it if one of my spiders is in pre-molt.
BTW it also works on NW species, but usually its easier on them to see the bald spaces darken.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Deffinately worth a bump.

I got a L. difficilus and B. vagans sling about a week and a half ago, and they both have the dark spot as seen in Pic #1. After using the search function, I read that a darkening of the abdomen, or even a "dark hairless spot" , is an indication of pre-molt.

Thanks for the pics.... now I have, what Im sure are, two hungry kids, after starving them for the last couple weeks.

live and learn.

Last edited:

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Nate I hate to create doubt (especially about something I have little knowledge in) but I do not think that spider is indeed a Brachypelma boehmei but instead a Aphonopelma bicoloratum.

Just so I'm able to sleep tonight read through this ( http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...-bicoloratum&p=1434630&viewfull=1#post1434630 ) and compare. Also if your T is a female and you have a molt check the spermatheca to confirm species.

On Topic: Ts in premolt start to lose grip and are not able to climb (smooth surfaces) very well.

One of my vagans slings fumbled as I picked up it's sauce cup and it ended up molting a few hours later.

My A. metallica made no effort to climb the container it came in, but readily was on the top of the cork bark I provided, it molted that night.