UPDATE: Rhode Island Reptile Ban Tabled

EricRoscoe2

Arachnopeon
S2033 Reptile Ban was pulled from the agenda of the Rhode Island Senate Natural Resources & Agriculture Committee last Wednesday February 15, 2012. USARK was contacted by the BillSponsor and Committee leadership and informed that S2033 would be carried over. S2033 can no longer be considered for this year! USARK wants to congratulate all of the members of the ReptileNation that participated in the grass roots campaign to kill S2033. Although this is a very positive development for Rhode Island, please remember that we must remain vigilant. This couldpossibly come up again next year!. The momentum begun in Virginia, with the decline of State level bills there aimed at shutting down the Reptile Industry, has continued in Rhode Island. It is ourplan at USARK to leverage this momentum in other states like Ohio, Illinois, West Virginia, Indiana & South Carolina. Thank you to ALL who contribute their time, effort and money to support theefforts of USARK and the Reptile Nation!!

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why are they so scared of reptiles, when we have a communist president ruining the country. Obama is the threat, make legislation to ban him. Oh wait, he's got half the country brainwashed.

Banning reptiles is a pretty stupid thing for politicians to worry about. How bout they spend their time worrying about the illegals, the economy, and things that matter.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Why are they so scared of reptiles, when we have a communist president ruining the country. Obama is the threat, make legislation to ban him. Oh wait, he's got half the country brainwashed.
This made me spurt coke out of my nose :).

Obama??? Communist(!)

Lmao

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Banning reptiles is a pretty stupid thing for politicians to worry about. How bout they spend their time worrying about the illegals, the economy, and things that matter.
Nice attempt at hijacking a thread.

Eric, what were the specifics of this bill? Would it be adding reptiles to the list of banned herps or was it just a revision of sorts?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's always hard to find that one person that suggests banning something isn't it. I looked around, so is it only boas and pythons they are trying to ban? I hope they aren't trying to add more to the list, environmentalism is on steroids these days and tend to over-reach into things that aren't that big deal imo.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here is a link to the text of the actual bill, which would have totally banned-NO exceptions, not even AZA facilities-ALL pythons, Boa Constrictors and Crocodilians, and would have banned the import into the state of ALL insects, reptiles amphibians, carnivores and canines, unless the importer has a special permit. AZA facilities would have been exempt from the import ban, however. While the title mentions "wild animals", the actual wording of the bill does NOT specify "wild" anything, so theoritically the mention of "carnivores" and "canidae" could include domestic cats, dogs and ferrets because there are no specific exclusions for those animals.

http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/BillText/BillText12/SenateText12/S2033.pdf

This bill has been tabled, which means it's dead for NOW, but could come up again next session. It was tabled due to overwhelming opposition from voters, but we cannot and MUST not count on politicians to heed what voters want. I learned many years ago, when fighting BSL that came up in my homestate and when trying to get a rabies vaccine approved for ferrets, that the politicians follow the money, not the votes. Whichever group has the most money to pay lobbiests and contribute to campaigns is the group that the political powers-that-be heed, and it does not matter which political party they hold membership in. Party affiliations are a moot issue when it comes to passing laws these days. A Federal bill to make ALL dog breeders/owners with at least ONE intact female dog submit to USDA inspections and specifications for "Commercial Dog Breeders/Dealers" was authored and sponsored by Rick Santorum a few years ago, with the full endorsement of HSUS and PETA. It was only defeated because it was attached to a larger "omnibus" farm bill which failed to pass. The Representative pushing so hard for HR 511 is a Republican, a "Tea Party" favorite. Animal laws and intrusions into our daily lives are no longer party issues, and it is getting really hard to know who you can trust in politics. Sorry if someone considers this "hijacking" a thread, but I did feel I needed to point out that this is NOT a Democrat vs. Republican issue any longer.

pitbulllady

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Nothing is a D vs R issue any longer anyway. Your whole political system is bought and paid for via campaign donations from special interest groups. Good luck really.

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just think .gov wastes time infringing people freedoms. If I want reptiles, I'll have them. Unless they pose an agricultural or public safety risk it's stupid to "ban" such things. Wasnt trying to hijack.