Myyy greenbottle blue

jhalla16

Arachnosquire
Mystique. Well, she hasn't molted in around 6 months, or so. It's looking like it will be any day. Anyway, she is only an inch long and hasn't molted in an extremely long time... Wondering why that would happen when all of my tarantulas are kept in the same conditions and regularly fed and everything, lol. You think it could be because it could be a potential female? Or is it one of the "duds", so to speak, that would've most likely died if it was born in the wild?

BenjaminBoa

Arachnosquire
If it is alive, no abdominal shrinking, and the set up is all right it will probably be okay.

I have a friend who just got into tarantulas, we both got versi slings around the same time, mine molted like crazy and is now 3x the size of hers, who has molted twice. both eat like mad.

If they're anything like snakes it could be temperature, lower temps = slower metabolism, but I wouldn't raise temps either. I keep my versi sling with my other T's in a rack set up which is heated to 75*f and a thermostat shuts the heat off if it gets much higher than that, I speculate thats why my versi is growing so much faster than hers.

I've also heard that female t's grow slower if they're female, but my slow growing OBT turned out to be male XD so who knows? Just let it do it's thing

jhalla16

Arachnosquire
If it is alive, no abdominal shrinking, and the set up is all right it will probably be okay.

I have a friend who just got into tarantulas, we both got versi slings around the same time, mine molted like crazy and is now 3x the size of hers, who has molted twice. both eat like mad.

If they're anything like snakes it could be temperature, lower temps = slower metabolism, but I wouldn't raise temps either. I keep my versi sling with my other T's in a rack set up which is heated to 75*f and a thermostat shuts the heat off if it gets much higher than that, I speculate thats why my versi is growing so much faster than hers.

I've also heard that female t's grow slower if they're female, but my slow growing OBT turned out to be male XD so who knows? Just let it do it's thing
Yeah, I guess we'll have to wait and see. I keep mine between 70 - 85 all the time, so I guess s/he's just a slow grower.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
6 months without a molt for a 1" GBB is definitely a long time. They're some of the faster growing species, in my experience. is it eating like a typical GBB?

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
I've got a GBB I've had now for roughly a month hasn't eaten once it's roughly 5-6cm dunno if it's in premolt as I'm not sure what to look for as it's abdominal pattern is pretty dominant but the 'skin' between the pattern looks dark but... It looked dark when I received it lol so I'm stuck if anyone has tips on what to look for on a GBB as signs of premolt it would be appreciated ( not trying to jack your thread my apologies) here's a pic of mine so you can get an idea of if it's healthy or not (plump abdomen etc) http://m1074.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/jaylong1/DSC00163.jpg.html

jhalla16

Arachnosquire
6 months without a molt for a 1" GBB is definitely a long time. They're some of the faster growing species, in my experience. is it eating like a typical GBB?
S/he hasn't eaten in a few weeks. I don't understand, lol