P Miranda colony?

Tarantula crazy

Arachnopeon
As I know with pokies they can be kept in colonies however i just wanted too double check whether p mirandas can be kept in colonies?

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
im honeslty not sure, but im sure a lil search action will result in some results!...lol

---------- Post added 04-04-2012 at 10:23 AM ----------

Jus googled "Poecilotheria miranda colony", and "Poecilotheria miranda communal"

..lots of threads came up, from other forums, and you tube links came up aswell....didnt read any to see the success rates, but it seems its been done.

rasulsimakshah

Arachnosquire
generally, any communal setup is a recipe for cannibalism. there are a few other threads on here pertaining to communal setups and which species seem more tolerant/not. i personally have heard that A. avics can be housed, if given plenty of room, but others say they can't be. even i want to try a communal setup experiment, but when i have the money to have some potentially expensive feeders. :p

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
generally, any communal setup is a recipe for cannibalism. there are a few other threads on here pertaining to communal setups and which species seem more tolerant/not. i personally have heard that A. avics can be housed, if given plenty of room, but others say they can't be. even i want to try a communal setup experiment, but when i have the money to have some potentially expensive feeders. :p
you don't have to wait for cash for feeders just start a roach colony... Depending on how many your keeping communally + how ever many other Ts you have should keep up with the breeding/feeding ratio (I see most recommendations say to have 10+ Ts to keep the roaches numbers containable)

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Avicularia are not very good communal tarantulas. A huge enclosure in which multiple tarantulas maintain their own area is not a communal enclosure, in my opinion. I haven't heard of a communal Avic enclosure that didn't end with high rates of cannibalism or were huge enclosures.

Many Poecilotheria do very well in communals, and many people have had success with P. miranda. As already said, there are quite a few threads about communals that are very informative.

rasulsimakshah

Arachnosquire
you don't have to wait for cash for feeders just start a roach colony... Depending on how many your keeping communally + how ever many other Ts you have should keep up with the breeding/feeding ratio (I see most recommendations say to have 10+ Ts to keep the roaches numbers containable)
hahah i was referring to the potential feeders with eight legs in a communal setup. ;) but roaches are a great feeder

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here is what I've gathered so far:

Communal:
fasciata
formosa
miranda
pederseni
regalis
rufilata
subfusca
tigrinawesseli

Not communal:
Ornata
Striata

Not sure of:
hanumavilasumica
metallica
smithi

I've personally raised fasciata, subfusca, and tigrinawesseli communally with success. I tried with ornata but failed horribly even with an immense amount of food present. The others that are mentioned are there because I've read stories or seen pictures of people either having success or not having success keeping those communally. If you do a simple search here and also on the web you'll find a lot of good info in regards to keeping poecilotheria communally! Good luck! Here's a little teaser for you before you figure out what you want to throw together.

3.0 P. fasciata

4.2 P. subfusca "Highland"

3.3 P. tigrinawesseli

RJ2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow! those subfusca look so awesome all huddled together!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
As far as I am aware: Communals on Poecis only work with sackmates really - if at all!

If someone wants a communal setup, I'd suggest Holothele (incei) or Heterothele (i.e. villosella) genus, as those are proven to work quite well.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow! those subfusca look so awesome all huddled together!
That's usually how I find them within their substrate curtains too!

As far as I am aware: Communals on Poecis only work with sackmates really - if at all!
Have you tried it?

If someone wants a communal setup, I'd suggest Holothele (incei) or Heterothele (i.e. villosella) genus, as those are proven to work quite well.
Personally, I've witnessed more cannabalism amongst my H. incei (regular and gold) than I have with Poecilotheria (excluding the p. ornata failure).

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Nope, haven't tried it. It's just from what I read mostly, hence the "as far as I am aware" - if it works for you that's really nice. I just recon that once they get bigger, there'll be losses like a lot of threads say.

I've read more successfull communal setups of Heterothele/Holothele than Pokies, though.

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
I have one P. miranda communal currently, I have six (was 7) of them in the communal and they have been living together for almost two years. There was a problem about a year ago when one matured into a male. No one got killed or eaten, I simply removed the male from the enclosure, thus leaving six. I have had no problems since.

I also had a pair of P. miranda's that I cohabitated for a few months, no aggression was shown at all. I removed the male after suspecting my female to be gravid.

Now I tried a communal with a few other pokies as well and it didn't work out so well at all.

Tarantula crazy

Arachnopeon
Thank you to everyone who has replied I'm new to this website and am very happy in the way the results of this question have turned out.thankyou.I have especially found all of this information useful and loved the pictures.

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
Thank you to everyone who has replied I'm new to this website and am very happy in the way the results of this question have turned out.thankyou.I have especially found all of this information useful and loved the pictures.
Welcome to the boards and to the addiction! I hope you enjoy your stay. :)

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Here is what I've gathered so far:

Not communal:
Ornata
Striata
I'm curious why you've included P. striata ? I've got a bunch living together. They are only about 4th or 5th instar, but I haven't had any problems yet. Seems like ornata are the biggest trouble makers.

Later, Tom

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm curious why you've included P. striata ? I've got a bunch living together. They are only about 4th or 5th instar, but I haven't had any problems yet. Seems like ornata are the biggest trouble makers.

Later, Tom
Hey tom, that's great to hear! I'm glad that you have a striata communal, please keep us updated as to what happens with them as they get larger. The only reason I placed striata in that category is because I've come across information at one point or another that backed it up. I'll have to do a bit of digging to find it again, but that's just what I remember from doing some research on Poecilotheria communals in the past.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I currently have a striata communal of 6 spiders. Had them together for about a year already with no losses.
P.ornata is definately the trouble maker in this genus when it comes to communals.

rasulsimakshah

Arachnosquire
i'll soon be receiving 4-5 P. regalis slings (same sac, etc.) and will be attempting a communal setup. i will keep one out jic, though...hahaha :-/ i've seen plenty of people trying a commune with regalis and striata online with plenty of 'success'; however it seems like most times they end up separating the group for one reason or the other.

Tonys spiders

Arachnosquire
Ornatas definately arent communal, i have tried with a very bad outcome. Also i had 4 p regalis that were sack mates living communally and i later added 2 more and both were cannabalised within a week. They were around the same size so im
Not sure if i had bad luck or what but thats just my experience.