PDA

View Full Version : Patch of Mold or Mat of Hair?

JohnxII
03-16-2004, 11:45 AM
During cage maintainence I found this on the substrate... what do you think it is??? If it's mold, obviously I'll have to clean up. For the record, the domain belongs to a sub-adult G.Pulchra (Brazilian Black)

Overmenneske
03-16-2004, 11:53 AM
Oh, that looks a lot like mold to me.

Had a very similar looking thing in my B. albopilosum's terrarium. I think it was due to a combination of moisture and lack of ventilation.

I changed the whole thing. Have read on these boards that the mold can spread into the book lungs.
My albopilosum was temporarily placed on a bark substrate. As I'm writing this, I have covered the floor on my room with this peat/soil substrate in order to dry it up before I place it in the terrarium.

My advice to you is remove it ASAP, unless someone says it's not mold. Moisture requires some ventilation.

dennis
03-16-2004, 11:56 AM
Yep, looks like mold to me too. I don't worry too much about mold... I remove it when I see it, I think the spider will receive much less stress from a big dude picking some mold out of its cage then a big dude digging him up out of his burrow, putting him in a small temporary container, then put him into a complete new environment where the spider has to build a new burrow and stuff....

Overmenneske
03-16-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by dennis
I think the spider will receive much less stress from a big dude picking some mold out of its cage then a big dude digging him up out of his burrow, putting him in a small temporary container, then put him into a complete new environment where the spider has to build a new burrow and stuff....
I agree.

I actually decided that this was the last time I would change everything. The next time I find that type of mold, I will just scrape it out.

JohnxII
03-16-2004, 12:06 PM
Removed. Thanks guys! I was suspecting it could be a molting mat... since the length and color of the "hairs" were similar...

XxStormsWebxX
03-16-2004, 12:08 PM
Thats mold no doubt. I do the same with my enclosures, i just take the mold out. I only change the entire tank when i see mites.

Overmenneske
03-16-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by JohnxII
I was suspecting it could be a molting mat... since the length and color of the "hairs" were similar...
I can assure you it is not.