Patch of Mold or Mat of Hair?

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
During cage maintainence I found this on the substrate... what do you think it is??? If it's mold, obviously I'll have to clean up. For the record, the domain belongs to a sub-adult G.Pulchra (Brazilian Black)

Attachments

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh, that looks a lot like mold to me.

Had a very similar looking thing in my B. albopilosum's terrarium. I think it was due to a combination of moisture and lack of ventilation.

I changed the whole thing. Have read on these boards that the mold can spread into the book lungs.
My albopilosum was temporarily placed on a bark substrate. As I'm writing this, I have covered the floor on my room with this peat/soil substrate in order to dry it up before I place it in the terrarium.

My advice to you is remove it ASAP, unless someone says it's not mold. Moisture requires some ventilation.

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yep, looks like mold to me too. I don't worry too much about mold... I remove it when I see it, I think the spider will receive much less stress from a big dude picking some mold out of its cage then a big dude digging him up out of his burrow, putting him in a small temporary container, then put him into a complete new environment where the spider has to build a new burrow and stuff....

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by dennis
I think the spider will receive much less stress from a big dude picking some mold out of its cage then a big dude digging him up out of his burrow, putting him in a small temporary container, then put him into a complete new environment where the spider has to build a new burrow and stuff....
I agree.

I actually decided that this was the last time I would change everything. The next time I find that type of mold, I will just scrape it out.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Removed. Thanks guys! I was suspecting it could be a molting mat... since the length and color of the "hairs" were similar...

XxStormsWebxX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thats mold no doubt. I do the same with my enclosures, i just take the mold out. I only change the entire tank when i see mites.

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by JohnxII
I was suspecting it could be a molting mat... since the length and color of the "hairs" were similar...
I can assure you it is not.