Blue T for my grandmother

Skeri

Arachnosquire
Ok, so, my grandmother always say "I want a blue one." The good thing is every time she sees a blue one she likes it XD. I was wondering what everyones thoughts as to what blue T I should surprise her with. Nothing avicularia, because I have A. avics and her interest in those isn't much. I'm looking for something vibrant, but something that if she gets curious and goes to put her hand in the cage for whatever reason, it won't be so defensive that its immediate reaction will be to strike. Arboreal or terrestrial isn't an issue because I own enough of both that I can set up its enclosure for her properly and give her the proper instructions. I also visit enough that if there were any mistakes being made I would know. I've done some research on my own, but i'm having a hard time finding something blue that isn't super defensive.

cmcghee358

Arachnoknight
Green Bottle Blue for sure imo. It's obviously not all blue, but they are stunning and are a NW variety.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, Avics are ONE possibility, but since you ruled them out....

As for blue T's, a good bunch of them are OW and hence NOT to get close with your hands with. (P. brachyramosa, P. metallica, H. lividum... and so on).

The only other T's that come to my mind regarding "blue" are these:

- Pamphobetheus ultramarinus (a youtube friend of mine has like 3 of these, but the blue varies on them, some are very vibrant metallic, others more washed-out even after a fresh molt - but these get quite big, too)
- Euathlus pulcherimaklaasi (greenish carapce, black abdomen with greyish hairs, metallic blue femurs)
- Homoeomma spec. "blue" (Peru 2) (allover steely-blue look)
- Thrixopelma lagunas (close to H. spec "blue", but deeper blue)
...and the already mentioned GBB (GreenBottleBlue) Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens

Neither of them is overly defensive, though it can always happen you come across a specimen that IS defensive by nature. Temperament with T's is not hammered in stone, after all.

Skeri

Arachnosquire
I was hoping there were some blue ones I missed. Pamphobetheus ultramarinus looks more black and purple from the pictures i'm seeing. Homoeomma spec blue looks like a good candidate. I think I will look into that one some more.

She really has showed interest in P. metallica and H. lividium. H. lividium is entirely out of the question. I'd be more than happy to get her a P.metallica if it wasn't for the reputation pokie venom has. Currently owning 4, I don't feel like they are quite as defensive as made out to be, mine all so far are actually pretty tame compared to what i've seen. Its just she is old and she has a stent, which means her heart isn't the best. Pokie venom has had some adverse effects and well idk what would happen if someone old with a bad heart got bit and I don't want to find out what would happen either.

I know what you mean on the individual specimen. My B. vagans female is feisty! For example my P. striata gladly came out of her enclosure with very little coaxing with a paintbrush and easily went back in after I took her picture. My B. vagans female on the other hand when I went to get her out of the shipping container, she bit the paintbrush. If I go to coax her away from the water dish so I can do so without accidentally splashing her at all, she bites the paint brush. Honestly, as much as I love my B. vagans (named sally) I dread putting my hand in that cage XD.

Also just because she isn't interested in my A. avics, doesn't mean she might not be interested in A. versicolor. From what I understand avicularia azuraklaasi are the more noticeably blue ones than A. versicolor, but they are super blue when they are young, and the colors on adults even without bright lighting is very attractive. As I understand their temperament is that of the A. avic. I think I am going to show her that one tomorrow and see if she likes it. I really want to get her something she can enjoy, will find attractive from sling to adult, and I don't have to worry if she sticks her hand in the cage for whatever reason. I'm just happy she likes mine so much she wanted her own tarantula. I don't want that to become a bad experience for her at any time for any reason.

Really I think i'm starting to get everyone around me into tarantulas. I've purchased a few species because my fiance specifically said he likes them, and now my grandmother is talking about how she wants a baby tarantula to raise, and alot of my friends are now considering tarantulas.

Last edited:

Giygas

Arachnosquire

T.cyaneolum.
Great eaters, Stunning shade of metallic blue though a bit skittish.

Ivymike1973

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I second the A. Versicolor, especially if you get her a sling. I also wanted to say I think it's awesome that you visit your Grandma that much. I wish I'd had more time with mine.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Chromatooelma cyaneopubescens, even though their feeding response is huge. If you do go for an avic, Avicularia azuraklaasi is pretty blue.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Im gonna 2nd a t Storm suggested
E. pulcherimaklaasi Nice blue hues to their legs, plus a few other subtle colors.
Real easy to keep (from everything ive ever read) but if im not mistaken, they are real slow growers. Juve/adult would be recommended

Skeri

Arachnosquire
I'm very close with my grandmother. Shes been there for me alot and is probably the coolest grandmother I could have ever asked for.

The problem is with alot of the suggestions its not an "in your face" sort of blue. Me, I wouldn't care. I like Ts for all sorts of reasons. My grandmother really has been interested in my collection, but didn't decide she wanted one until she saw all of the ones with bright, highly noticeable colors. I'm terribly afraid of getting her one that isn't super vibrant in fear she will be let down by it.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
sounds like Grandmas gotta go OW lol.. im not 100% on this, but a LOT of blue NW ts arent really blue unless in light. Much like the irredescant purples on poeci only show up under flashlight or in glimpses of natural light

---------- Post added 07-08-2012 at 08:42 AM ----------

BTW, i think its cool that you turned your grandma out to tarantulas lol. I hear of a lot of people getting friends and such into the hobby, but THIS takes the cake:biggrin:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Euathlus grow pretty slow, yes. Mine is nearly a year old now and is only at 2,5" approx. Should be molting soon again, though. Same goes for Thrixopelma and Homoeomma pretty much...

As for what you said there regarding A. azuraklaasi. If you talk about the one on Rick Wests page (www.birdspiders.com), that one looks nothing like any A. azuraklaasi I've seen so far! Especially since it's pointed out there, that there are different locations they come from! So, be careful! If you want dark blue / purple go for the A. purpurea - they look awesome! Blackish in general, but if put into the correct view / light - absolutely stunning.

Also, A. azuraklaasi are NOT entirely blue when young! Dunno where you got that from, but here's a pic of mine before acquiring adult colors:
P1010093.JPG

This is with juvie colors now:
P1010628.JPG

As for H. lividum: They are seldomly out and if so, usually at night.
As for P. metallica: These are photosensitve, which means they will try to hide away from light as well usually.
From what you say about your grandma there, I seriously wouldn't even think about an OW for her! That would be somewhat irresponsible really.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah.. definitely dont want to put her hands in with OWs lol..
Either way, i hope you narrow it down and get your grandma something cool Skeri. Hope SHE likes it too..

madamoisele

Arachnosquire
I know you said no avics, BUT - have you considered a. geroldi? Very blue and not likely to send Grandma into a heart attack.

Skeri

Arachnosquire
@ Storm I should have worded that better. I meant to say "azuraklassi is a brighter blue as an adult than A. avics, but A. versicolors seem to be very blue when slings and look to be very vibrantly colored as adults from what I have seen in videos"

Yes OW is entirely out of the question. My P. metallica will one day be very pretty, and i'd be more than happy for her to come to my apartment to see it, but only under my supervision. Honestly though if it wasn't for I know how my grandmother can get a little too curious, I would hands down save the money to get her a sub adult sexed P. metallica female, I only won't get it for her because of the risk. I just ordered a versi for myself, so i'll show her pictures of the slings and adult versions of the Ts I just purchased and see if she looks really interested. If that doesn't work, i'll resort to randomly showing her some Ts suggested with a "hey this ones cool" and if that doesn't work, i'm just going to keep racking my brain until I find one that makes her go wow. Honestly though I don't see how anyone could be disappointed in a versi. A. avics are a bit dull in color, but versis seem to be attractive under just about any light and at any phase of growth.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Gotcha. Guess I misinterpreted you then, apologies.

Theist 17

Arachnosquire
What about a T from the genus Tapinauchenius. they range from blue to purple and even orange.
For an elderly lady with a not-so-great heart? I would certainly not recommend anything from that genus. Tapinauchenius are incredibly fast, have potent venom, and are no strangers to escapes. I'd never give my grandmother a Tappie.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What about a T from the genus Tapinauchenius. they range from blue to purple and even orange.
...and are extremely fast and often nasty tempered. Not really suitable for a grandmother...older people -are- having slower reactions and having to catch, or even rehouse such a T would probably be "interesting to watch" :D

For an elderly lady with a not-so-great heart? I would certainly not recommend anything from that genus. Tapinauchenius are incredibly fast, have potent venom, and are no strangers to escapes. I'd never give my grandmother a Tappie.
It's a NW species, their venom isn't as bad as Poeci or the like. It's on the line with Psalms, I'd think. Bitereports most say "like a hot nail driven into your skin", very much uncomfortable and painful probably, but not long-lasting with systemic wide effects ;)

panterafreak21

Arachnopeon
from the research ive been doing i have found out yes they are very fast indeed. but as far as temperment goes i would say there more opped to run then fight. As this is an elderly woman i highly doubt shes going to be interacting with this T on a daily basis. Now if someone had suggested a Lampropelma Violaceopes then there would be cause for concern.