how do you transfer s'lings...

Yve

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey all, I'm having some difficulties in moving my s'lings when cleaning out their vials...its not hard to get them out into a bigger holding container but getting them back in to a tall skinny tube is a different story :8o I had one running in circles on the wall of one container as I tried to coax it back into its vial....I don't want to tip the vial too much because the soil starts to tumble out...its a very frustrating procedure and I'm very nervous doing it because I don't want to hurt the little guys. I did a search here but couldn't find the info I was looking for...any tips on how to do this without
STRESS?? :(

Yve

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yve said:
Hey all, I'm having some difficulties in moving my s'lings when cleaning out their vials...its not hard to get them out into a bigger holding container but getting them back in to a tall skinny tube is a different story :8o I had one running in circles on the wall of one container as I tried to coax it back into its vial....I don't want to tip the vial too much because the soil starts to tumble out...its a very frustrating procedure and I'm very nervous doing it because I don't want to hurt the little guys. I did a search here but couldn't find the info I was looking for...any tips on how to do this without

Yve
Yve,

It is a bit of a trick, but patience (like I have any) will prevail. They want to run UP. So if at all possible, tilt the vial. I've had success in setting the vial on a table and cupping my hands around the vial under the T. Then slowly move up and the T should run towards the top to get away from your hands. If it makes it to the opening, I'll blow on it softly to encourage it to go down into the vial. Keep in mind, some T's will jump onto your hand instead of retreating to the safety of the vial.

I went to visit e-spiderworld back in February. Unfortunately John was out of town, but I spent some time visiting with Matt. For the most part, there really aren't too many "tricks" involved in this hobby. It is just plain grunt work. In other words, the best way to get it in the vial is what works for you.

Botar

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yve said:

Yve
i feel EXACTLY the same way you do and have gone thru exactly what you have.. the only difference now is i have a few methods and tools i use to assist me.. it's mostly trial and error as t's are unpredictable.. i sometimes pick them up with my hand but then the little buggers where so stubborn to go into their new enclosure and chose to stay on my hand :? .. i know what you mean by being afraid of hurting them being as small as they are.. you should see me when i do it, i look like a mad scientist with all these tools (i'll mention in a bit) dealing with a super sensitive nuclear warhead! lol..

i usually use anything at hand but terrestrial slings are much easier to deal with then arboreals.. what i do is get the sling to walk in to the pill vial using the tweezers, then i put something to on top of the pill vial while i get the other container.. don't worry t's metabolizm is sooo slow they can survive in an air tight container for a long time as they don't use up much oxygen.. then i slowly put the pill vial in or touching the new container and let the t walk out or encourage it with the tweezers.. don't worry about stress as honestly t's aren't like chameleons where a bit of stress can kill them (most anyways as avicularias tend to die from too much stress)... just worry more about injuring them as they're really fragile.. with arboreals i have to make them walk out onto my hand as there vials are way to small... it all depends on the situation...

here's a pic of the most important tools i use to do this.. and there's my half inch T who takes on crickets twice it's size! and big mealworms too! anyways it should molt within the next couple days..

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Botar said:
Yve,
They want to run UP.
Botar
especially arboreals i've noticed... they go nothing but up.. i trick them by first glueing cork bark into the enclousure (which is going to be upside down with the substrate on the lid) and then having the enclousure upside down and the arboreal in the other hand then i trap it by putting the container over it and they climb up to the top and stay there..

the funny thing is resently i moved my communal avic slings into a bigger container and everytime i'd get one in and turn the container over to grab the next one the first one would come out! it was pretty cool though, i have 2-3 avics walking around my hand...

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
da_illest said:
the funny thing is resently i moved my communal avic slings into a bigger container and everytime i'd get one in and turn the container over to grab the next one the first one would come out! it was pretty cool though, i have 2-3 avics walking around my hand...

You should try separating out a sac of P. murinus or H. lividum. I typically try to separate them at first instar instead of second. Nothing quite like popping the top on a deli cup/incubator containing a couple hundred little bullets wanting to be anywhere but there. Do that once or twice and you'll definitely remember to separate them at first instar the next time.

Botar

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Botar said:
You should try separating out a sac of P. murinus or H. lividum. I typically try to separate them at first instar instead of second. Nothing quite like popping the top on a deli cup/incubator containing a couple hundred little bullets wanting to be anywhere but there. Do that once or twice and you'll definitely remember to separate them at first instar the next time.

Botar
i can imagine.. i've heard that it can be done in a bathtub i think.. i assume it's cause slings have a hard time climbing the tub material...

i will know though once i get my breeding projects on the go..

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
da_illest said:
i can imagine.. i've heard that it can be done in a bathtub i think.. i assume it's cause slings have a hard time climbing the tub material...

i will know though once i get my breeding projects on the go..
The bathtub is a good place to work with them, but don't assume it will slow them down. It just gives them fewer places to hide. They can climb the side of a tub just as easy as they climb the glass or plastic walls of an enclosure. Just be sure to remember to plug both the drain AND the spigot.

Botar

Yve

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oh my! :eek: and I though I had troubles!lol...well thanks for the tips guys..:) I guess there is no easy way around eh? Atleast it doesn't have to be cleaned too often...

-=}GA']['OR{=-

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey guys,If you are worried about harming the slings,try Q-tips instead of forceps or tweezers.The soft cotton is alot more forgiving than steel tweezers.I use Q-tips when transfering slings.You can tap them on the abdomen without worrying about hurting them.
Later Brian

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
asteroth said:
Hey guys,If you are worried about harming the slings,try Q-tips instead of forceps or tweezers.The soft cotton is alot more forgiving than steel tweezers.I use Q-tips when transfering slings.You can tap them on the abdomen without worrying about hurting them.
Later Brian
it depends on the person, it seems like a great idea but i'm very carefull with the tweezers.. i'll probably use q-tips on my versicolor though.. usually i very gently touch the 3rd or 4th leg and they bolt.. i find that they are more willing to let you touch they're butts! ;p lol.. no really though, a breeder/dealer here where i'm from tought me that most the time you can get them to go straight touching they;re 3rd leg. although i've had ones just run around...