Aggressive G.Pulchra?

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
These are some pix of my sub-adult G.Pulchra. It was labelled Brazilian Black in the shop, and it's even cheaper than my G.Pulchra slings! However, this species is supposed to be quite docile. Not with mine! Whenever I reach in with forceps to do maintenance etc., it would turn towards it and grab it at times. Once I had to change the water dish and was trying to gently coax it away with my stainless steel forceps, it reared up on the forceps. When I tried to slowly pull away the forceps, it furiously attacked and a solid "ping!" was heard between the fangs and the steel. It wouldn't let go for a good half a minute... I decided to change the dish the day after.

Now the questions:

1. I'm not familiar with IDing T's. While I've seen pictures of adult H.Minax (Thailand Black) with significantly shorter hairs, I found sub-adults of both spp. similar looking. Because of the cheap price, I'm suspecting my black beauty could be Thai instead of Brazilian...

2. Are WC's generally more aggressive than CB's?

3. Are WC's generally cheaper than CB's?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Do you think her legs are a bit on the slim side? When I see the pix of others' GP's they all look stockier than mine.

Attachments

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well, I have a pict of mine as my avatar,
also if you do a search under g. pulchra and my username you can see other pictures of her.
She is very docile, however- never shown any defensive or aggressive behavior at all in the year and a half that I have had her.
(however she has been premolt for a long time, and is looking a little rough now)

Kim

Bearo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My litle girl... bought her like a week and a half ago and she is kind of nervous when I hold her but not defensive.. but, when she is in her "hole" she tries to eat everything that moves outside

Cyprinus01

Arachnopeon
I think a little time ago I saw a topic (a post) from someone who asked the same in this forum.
Maybe you can use the search.
However, the T on you photo looks the same as my Pulchra a year (one molt) ago.
At that time my Pulchra (female) was very argessive towards everything that moved. Now she is al lot easyer and I do even handle her from time to time.
I've no answers to your 'WC-questions' by the way.
Good luck !!

Trinity

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My G. Pulchra I purchased as a very small captive bred spiderling about 3 years ago. Now he's a sub adult at 4.5 inches.

He attacks anything that gets into his enclosure, paintbrushes, falling water, ect. He bares his fangs and strikes and/or grabs on. I believe this is because he thinks it might be something to eat.

However, if you can coax him from his enclosure (completely out of his aquarium), usually because he's chasing a paintbrush (odd ball!), he becomes the sweetest, most well behaved little boy.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Thanks you guys. I guess it's still hungry after all. :}

But cold solid steel? I wouldn't find it tasty at all...

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah... my 4'' female G. pulchra is a beast. Very agressive (more than my 2'' usambara, LOL). She strikes always without warning.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Not likely. This thread is eight years old.

HairyCelt

Arachnosquire
Not likely. This thread is eight years old.
So it is.....

I was just going to say that, with the exception of my OBTs and new girl P.muticus, I'm more wary of my G.pulchra than of any of my other beasties - pokeys, and S.subsinipes centipedes included. It's a complete and unrelenting beast, sending a flurry of hair into the air before leg-slapping anything that gets close. I don't expect she'd actually deliver a bite, but her fury is quite special.

She's appears healthy with the usual eat-then-fast behaviour I've come to expect from my Grammastolas, I just think she's a bit of a chav. :D

Still lovely to look at, though! :)