plant needs no light

Perentie

Arachnosquire
is there a plant that needs absolutely no light, or do all of them need light to grow

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
research oxygen plants. fungus, pothos = low light, iron plant = low light almost indestructible.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To answer the OP's question, no, there aren't any plants that require absolutely no light. Plants need light in order to photosynthesize. How much depends on the particular species. And for the record, mushrooms aren't plants. Fungi and Plantae are two completely separate kingdoms.

Perentie

Arachnosquire
To answer the OP's question, no, there aren't any plants that require absolutely no light. Plants need light in order to photosynthesize. How much depends on the particular species. And for the record, mushrooms aren't plants. Fungi and Plantae are two completely separate kingdoms.
You beat me to the fungi vs plantae thing. The plant would be going into a school locker (my friend asked if any could.) so it would get like 1 min a day in artificial lighting

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You beat me to the fungi vs plantae thing. The plant would be going into a school locker (my friend asked if any could.) so it would get like 1 min a day in artificial lighting
I have to be nosy and ask just WHY someone would be keeping a plant in a school locker...is this a Science experiment or an attempt to conceal something that's not supposed to be at school that will get someone into major trouble if it's found?

pitbulllady

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have to be nosy and ask just WHY someone would be keeping a plant in a school locker...is this a Science experiment or an attempt to conceal something that's not supposed to be at school that will get someone into major trouble if it's found?

pitbulllady
Except mushrooms, I don't know what you could keep/grow in a locker and get in trouble for, any of the "good" stuff needs equatorial brightness.... ;)

Perentie

Arachnosquire

pitbulllady
she inst trying to grow anything bad, i think she just wants to decorate her locker

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
Go to your local arts and crafts store , like Micheals and buy the fake stuff. They have Tons of realistic looking plants and flowers that will look great. I use vines around my windows.

Perentie

Arachnosquire
Go to your local arts and crafts store , like Micheals and buy the fake stuff. They have Tons of realistic looking plants and flowers that will look great. I use vines around my windows.
for whatever reason she HATES fake plants, i don't know why

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I understand, I hate them too...LIghtBulb! hey what if she got one of those little sick on lamps and put it next to the plant in the locker, turned it on when she first opened it , then turned it off before she left? They last hundreds of hours with one set of batteries and maybe se could have a tiny cast iron or other next to it?

Perentie

Arachnosquire
I understand, I hate them too...LIghtBulb! hey what if she got one of those little sick on lamps and put it next to the plant in the locker, turned it on when she first opened it , then turned it off before she left? They last hundreds of hours with one set of batteries and maybe se could have a tiny cast iron or other next to it?
could you send me link as to where to get one

poisoned

Arachnodemon
Except mushrooms, I don't know what you could keep/grow in a locker and get in trouble for, any of the "good" stuff needs equatorial brightness.... ;)
Equatorial? This stuff grows outdoors here at 45°lat very well. I'm sure it grows outdoors northern from here :)

Aviara

Arachnoknight
Problem with the "sticky lights" is - they won't provide the plant with the same light that the sun produces. Plants require UVB, so unless the friend picks up a UVB bulb like those used for diurnal reptiles, the plant will eventually die. But why would you want to keep the plant in a locker anyway? You'll only see it for a few minutes a day, and it'll be more trouble than it's really worth. My recommendation is to just buy the fake plants, even if they don't look as good. If she's not interested, there are jungle-themed wallpapers she could tape up on the inside of the locker for a "planted" effect. I don't see any way to keep a plant in a school locker without going through extensive effort, nor do I see a reason to do so.

Tarac

Arachnolord
Sort of true- there are a whole host of plants that don't photosynthesize at all. Monotropa uniflora, for example, occurs in my area. It is completely white, no photosynthetic capacity whatsoever. The reason this is only "sort of true" though is because these plants are root parasites, taking advantage of plants that do photosynthesize.

http://florida.plantatlas.usf.edu/Plant.aspx?id=3568

They're really amazing plants. There are lots and lots and lots of examples of non-photosynthetic parasitic plants, many are quite attractive. I've seen examples in rose gardens in France, on the top of near barren mountains in Latin America and right here in my own backyard in Florida. None are school-locker material as most cannot easily be cultivated at all outside of their precise native setting due to the specific nature of their relationship to the associated plants and mycorrhizae found there. It's not an uncommon habit for temperate terrestrial orchids.