Glow in the dark mushrooms

Tarac

Arachnolord
Nifty, makes me want to get back into frogs. Dart frogs are so darn hungry and tiny that I quit but maybe some red eyes or something. Wonder if the red eyes would be too big/heavy and break the mushrooms. Anyone ever try using them before? Clearly they are being marketed that way.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah ive never owned any dartfrogs yet. I did own a few dumpys though. I love the looks of dart frogs, and the live vivariums, but hate the idea of the mold, mites, phlorid flies and thier babies. One of teh dumpys i had accidentily cut his stomach open on a plastic plant, and bled to death. I always liked the look of the red eyed. Seems like those mushrooms would be pretty flimsy, so probably would be best with some tiny species of frog. Or heck, just a live planted vivarium, doesnt actually have to have any critters in it.

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is too cool, thanks for sharing catfish. I wonder if it would be more effective to use active plugs instead of the spores they provide. If any one gets this, lemme know how the instructions read!

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Those are sweet! I have been thinking dart frogs would make an exciting next project, and I would like these incorporated into their terrarium. Thanks for sharing!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Your both very welcome. They would look sweet! I dont plan on ever getting any of them, but figured i would give the idea to others. I have mushrooms growing with one of my P. regalis females. They pop up and live a couple days, then die off. Then a while later they pop again. I just started leaving them, since they wont hurt anything.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does it only glow in the dark with a black light?

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are a bio-luminescent fungus. From what i read, they require nothing to charge their glow, it just happens. Much like the light on an angler fish or other creature that has that ability.

I am thinking of adding them to my vivarium once I finish it.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Cool! Let us know how it works out, and of course some pics too.
They are a bio-luminescent fungus. From what i read, they require nothing to charge their glow, it just happens. Much like the light on an angler fish or other creature that has that ability.

I am thinking of adding them to my vivarium once I finish it.

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
So nobody is going to make a shrooms joke? I've been reading this thread for a funny one.

Tarac

Arachnolord
Yeah ive never owned any dartfrogs yet. I did own a few dumpys though. I love the looks of dart frogs, and the live vivariums, but hate the idea of the mold, mites, phlorid flies and thier babies. One of teh dumpys i had accidentily cut his stomach open on a plastic plant, and bled to death. I always liked the look of the red eyed. Seems like those mushrooms would be pretty flimsy, so probably would be best with some tiny species of frog. Or heck, just a live planted vivarium, doesnt actually have to have any critters in it.
I've kept both when I was younger and had nothing better to do than tend a million frogs a snakes lol. Darn work interfering with all my play time.

Red eyes are really nice frogs, I loved mine. The drawback is that they are surprisingly short lived. They are a classic species.

But what is this I hear...?! A vivarium without a critter? The horror! Sacrilege! ;)

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thats preposterous! Who would do such a thing? :)
So nobody is going to make a shrooms joke? I've been reading this thread for a funny one.

---------- Post added 01-07-2013 at 03:13 PM ----------

Thats awesome. Yeah work sure does get in the way of living life doesnt it. :)

They seem pretty nice. That sucks they are short lived though.

Haha. Well sprintails and isos would be a good easy addition!
I've kept both when I was younger and had nothing better to do than tend a million frogs a snakes lol. Darn work interfering with all my play time.

Red eyes are really nice frogs, I loved mine. The drawback is that they are surprisingly short lived. They are a classic species.

But what is this I hear...?! A vivarium without a critter? The horror! Sacrilege! ;)

Meezerkoko

Arachnoknight
A few people had said on a dart frog forum that they almost thought of their giant orange isos as pets so you could always do that. By the way Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix) are amazing and can live 20+ years. They get big like Dumpys though, about 4-5 inches in females and about 3 in males. It takes a very long time for them to mature though. I just got a trio of them as froglets and they're growing like adorable little weeds :D

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have many vivariums with nothing in them besides detritivores. I'm thinking of setting up a few small ones and others to mount on my walls as sub-par night lights. Now I just have to ship them in and find a few good oak pieces.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Anybody know which flavor this is? The hallowed:sarcasm: wikipedia mentions 70 possibilities. Panellus stipticus seems most likely because of distribution?

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dont know about Panellus stipticus after a quick google search. It looks it might be a species Mycena but I really have no Idea. I based this assumption based off the Picture provided by the photo on the online store. I'm curious so I am trying to contact the store that is selling them. YOU can get a confirmed http://sporeworks.com/Omphalotus-nidiformis-Ghost-Fungus-Culture-Slant.html .

I wonder if any millipedes can eat Omphalotus nidiformis fruit bodies? That would be neat.

--------------

After talking to some one on Arachnochat ( he goes by pulk you might know him ) said that it says panellus stipticus on the bag. So... I was wrong their.

Last edited:

Damzlfly

Arachnopeon
It is the Panellus Stipticus spore that this kit includes. Amazon sells it along with a really cool one called the Glowing Ghost which is Omphalotus Nidiformis