i found a scropoin what type is ti

ir blob

Arachnopeon
its green n black about 6-8 inches long 1 1/2 inch wide i would realy like to know what type it was and if its pznous or not couse my lil sister plays where i found it all the time and she runs with out shoes on alot so just would like to know ...btw i found it in central flordia

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Ok...if you are in Florida and the scorpion is on the large size then it is probably Centruroides gracilis which has the common name Florida Bark Scorpion or Slender Brown Scorpion. All scorpions are venomous but not all ae deadly. The one you most likely found in Florida can cause severe pain but is not considered to be deadly. On the other hand they can be more dangerous to children because of their smaller size.

If the scorpion you found is the one I mentioned it will look like the one in the photo at the link below...the legs may be the same color as the body in your scorpion though. The coloration varies some.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/attachment.php?attachmentid=16704

John
];')

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Dessicata said:
Could it be Diplocentrus?
Not in Florida...The only Genus in Florida are Centruroides, Vaejovis and possibly Isometrus.

John
];')

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah, knew Centruroides were present in Florida, but didnt think they got to 8" in length.

Lee

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
I'm guessing the scorpion is actually in the 3-5" range...unless blob mananged to fined someones escaped Emperor scorpion :D

John
];')

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah :p Would that actually be a possibility? It gets pretty warm in the US does it not?

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
I would think P.imperator might be able to live and reproduce in some areas of southern Florida but not in central Florida as the winters get on the cold side to near freezing in central Florida...though by this time of the year it would be warm enough in central Florida.

John
];')

krtrman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
here in orlando we actually get freezing temps in late december through february. you start to see a lot of our native scorps trying to find warm areas indoors when it starts to get cold. and earlier this week we had a cold snap. temps were in the low 50's. (just in case you folks wanted a brief glimpse into central florida weather). so i seriously doubt a p. imperator could survive even if it escaped just a few days ago. still chilly but warming up nicely.

ir blob

Arachnopeon
ahh

well the body of the the scropoin is about the same but the green was like a fuzzy thing(like a fur of some kind but im not sure if it is fur) on the back of it not on the legs the legs where black im sry i should have said that btw it was 6.2 in

ps... ty 4 the help :)

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
If there is any way you can photograph the scorpion and post it her it would help...especially if your camera has a macro function and the image is clear.

John
];')

ir blob

Arachnopeon
sry

no sry i dont have a camra and my moms made me throw away the dead body
btw i tryd to keep it alive but it got into a fight with the cat and the cat bested it

ir blob

Arachnopeon
im not sure if this is the same one but looks just like it besides the green furstuff

ir blob

Arachnopeon
it could be that

it could be that but it was more black does the color on them very?

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well the scorp i posted above was a Centruroides gracilis. They are greenish because of the light from the camera flash. In the flesh they are much more dark in color.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Ignore the colour. It is next to useless in a lot of ID. You can start by seeing whether the chela (pincers) are thick or thin.

Cheers,
Dave