What plant is this, RobC uses it.

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

He says he only uses pothos, but the only thing I can find on google is a Majesty Palm. Which is literally a palm tree. So does he actually use palm trees?

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I understand it's not a potho. So I was confused. I just went to a well renound place that sells plats all year round. The guy couldn't tell me what it was, but he did tell me it's a palm. All palms look the same when they are young I guess.

PrettyHate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I must be having a "blonde" day, because I still don't get what you are asking...sorry :/

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The title said it all. :p

I wanted to know what that plant was lol. I still don't know the exact name, all I know is it's a bambo palm of some sort.

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
You're saying RobC claims to only use pothos, yet uses the plant you have pictured, which is not a pothos...
Are you certain the palm like plant you saw him using was living, and not a silk version?
I have a few plants, and was told their genus and species name... yet a google search produces 100s of different breeds of the same plant.
Good chance, Majesty Palm is one of the common names behind a breed of a species from a genus.

Looks like it'd get pretty tall...

prairiepanda

Arachnoknight
The plant behind the one you pictured looks like it might be a pothos. I have seen pothos plants in a lot of Robc's enclosures. There are many many different kinds, so I suggest you ask him which kind he uses. The palm type plant you have pictured in the front I don't think would work in a T enclosure, but I could be wrong. Maybe you've seen plastic ones in Robc's enclosures? Pothos looks different though and I know for sure that he has pothos.

philge

Arachnosquire
The plant in the front of the picture is definitely a palm. The one in the background, I believe is a type of Sanseveria AKA Mother In Law's Tongue AKA Snake Plant.

sbullet

Arachnoknight
It doesn't matter what plants he uses. Use any plant that requires low light. It will live.

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
The one in the back is a Dieffenbachia.

I wonder why he's using them as they're toxic as hell and can't stand low right, but it's definitely a Dieffenbachia.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I think the plant you are asking about is going to need to mature a little. If it is in the palm family there are several dozen possibilities. We have several that look like that around here. When mature they vary from 2 foot tall and spreads like wildfire to 20 footers.

Spoke to a Prof today. The front one in the pic is not in the palm or bamboo families. He needs to see a maturing stem and a flower spike for proper ID.

Last edited:

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Genus Pothos is a small vining houseplant. "Back in the day" people incorrectly called them Philodendron, a related genus of plants. Every store with a living plant section sells Pothos.

The plant growing behind the palm is NOT a Pothos, but rather a variegated cultivar of Aglaonema, more familiarly known in the vernacular as Chinese evergreen. It too is a relative of both Pothos and Philodendron.

The foliage of many of these plants is toxic if eaten, and I remember in a former life repeatedly warning our pet shop customers about getting rid of their Philodendron and Pothos if they got a kitten. While tarantulas seldom if ever eat plant foliage, I often worry about enthusiasts using these plants in a tarantula's cage where the leaves might die and droop or fall into the water dish. Or, where crickets might nibble on the leaves and be eaten by the tarantula before the crickets themselves had an opportunity to die from the plant toxins, or digest and detoxify them first.

Another argument in my continuing tirade against using live plants with tarantulas.

Enjoy your little, 8-legged, ambush predator carnivore!

---------- Post added 05-12-2013 at 07:44 PM ----------

The one in the back is a Dieffenbachia. ...
I stand corrected. Not Aglaonema. Much worse!

And suddenly your little 8-legged wonder needs to learn Botany!

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
I recall reading a thread on here from a member saying he misplaced a pothos in the back of a dark closet, where it survived a year without light or water before he came across it again. Thats basically why robC uses only pothos: its possibly the most forgiving, simple, cheap and easy to find.

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Deffenbachia, two subspecies, Asian variety nearly identical to Seguine. The one in the background is much hardier, more drought resistant, and faster growing.

Philodendron, vine variety, pseudoepiphyte

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well as for the one in front there that looks like a palm, I saw at least 40 of those at HomeDepot a few days ago and thought it would make a good terr plant. They were all the same size and sprouting new growth at the base so I was "guessing" they didn't get much bigger, whatever they are. I think I may go back now and get a few when the sun comes up.

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well as for the one in front there that looks like a palm, I saw at least 40 of those at HomeDepot a few days ago and thought it would make a good terr plant. They were all the same size and sprouting new growth at the base so I was "guessing" they didn't get much bigger, whatever they are. I think I may go back now and get a few when the sun comes up.
Yeah they are some sort of palm. But because I don't have stem pictures it can't be identified until its older. I have recently put palms in one of my enclosures. They were washed and rinsed a bunch of times to make sure all exterior pesticides were washed off then out aside for a week and a half to leach the remaining pesticides. It seems to be doing fine and it shows no symptoms that its going to die. They seem pretty hardy, I washed the roots and all.

I didn't know this thread was still alive because it was moved! Awesome! Thanks for all the info guys and gals!

And for the reference I was asking what the palm plant was, not the one behind it. Only palms will go into my enclosures.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I am curious how they will work out in a terrarium. If you do so, I would love to know how it works out.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OK, I do plan to use in a terr setup. They look bigger than they are in the pic, they are barely 6 inches tall. If you go read up on their requirements, esp. light requirements, it sounds like they would be really good for terrs, maybe even OK with P. imperator and other things that can be a little destructive with plants, they seem pretty rigid, grow slow so that's good too. I just dropped them in a big container of rainwater, leave overnight, to wash off anything they might use on them at the store.