Has anyone ever heard of Thrixopelma Iagunas??

Tarantula Fangs

Arachnosquire
So, once again I see a T that I like and I'm considering purchasing one of these little guys but upon searching the web I see almost nothing posted on this species besides it's genus change. Would anyone who owns one give me a full "Lowdown" on these guys. I'm looking particularly for growth size, growth speed, and most important to me, how bad the URTICATING HAIRS are, I'm not a fan of those serious hairs like the Geniculata, Blondi, or Sturmi. :/ Thanks for the help as always guys. :happy:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
There's seems to be some confusion with this spider. I've seen two dealers that are selling them, saying that they are the same thing, as what use to be sold as Homoeomma sp. "blue". I've seen adults of both, and at a first glance, I agree they do look a like. But, when I posted about it on the Arachnoboards FB group, someone knowledgeable who actually examined them , said that the spermatheca and male emboli are shaped different.

They way I understand it, is Homoeomma sp. "blue" should be a Thrixoplema species, but not the same as what is now being sold as T. lagunas like some dealers are saying. It's not the first time the hobby has turned something into a confusing mess :eek:

In general speaking, other Thrixopelma that I have raised were slow to med speed growers, and don't have urticating hairs as severe as Theraphosa etc..., but T. ockerti is quite flicky.

Later, Tom

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yep, pretty much what Tom said. The two Homoeomma sp blue Peru I raised (which may or may not be Thrixopelma lagunas...) prefer an arboreal lifestyle rather than terrestrial.

Last edited:

Tarantula Fangs

Arachnosquire
Good explanation, although when referring to their urticating hairs, have you been personally been "haired" by one? how would you rate their hairs, 1 (nothing at all) - 10 ( extremely painful )? is it similar to the brachypelma? :0 :)

cold blood

Staff member
Yep, pretty much what Tom said. The two Homoeomma sp blue Peru (which may or may not be Thrixopelma lagunas...) prefer an arboreal lifestyle rather than terrestrial.
I always thought the confusion with that species was with T. cyaneolum...its confused with lagunas as well? I didn't realize they were blue.

There's much confusion....when I googled lagunas, there were only a couple pic that came up, the first looked wrong...the next was MY pic of my T. cyaneolum....definitely NOT a lagunas.

Last edited:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Ahhh, the plot thickens lol. Yes, Thrixopelma cyaneolum was traded as Homoeomma sp. "blue/small" back in the day, but is not the same as Homoeomma sp. "blue/large" or what is newly being sold as Thrixopelma lagunas. They should all be 3 different species.

Later, Tom

awiec

Arachnoprince
Ahhh, the plot thickens lol. Yes, Thrixopelma cyaneolum was traded as Homoeomma sp. "blue/small" back in the day, but is not the same as Homoeomma sp. "blue/large" or what is newly being sold as Thrixopelma lagunas. They should all be 3 different species.

Later, Tom
You would think the red rump of cyaneolum would give it away but all 3 are built rather similar so I guess if you are the collector grabbing things out of burrows it would be easy to mix them up.

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
As Tom stated, "They way I understand it, is Homoeomma sp. "blue" should be a Thrixoplema species, but not the same as what is now being sold as T. lagunas". I have listed in my add on AB Thrixopelma cf lagunas as they are new to me and came in listed as cf (compare to or confer with T. lagunas abstract(s) etc...). If this helps in any way here is a shot as a sling, but they have some growing to do. In addition and as stated, it acts entirely different then say ockerti which often climbs and is found on the sides of its container. The Thrixopelma cf lagunas seems not as flighty, is always on the ground, has almost no webbing, and has not burrowed in its enclosure either. Reminds me of Paraphysa scrofa as far as temperament and housing thus far.

Pushing over an inch now Thrixopelma cf lagunas

Devins shot of Homoeomma sp. "blue/small"

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums...2-9D56-BBA2D3770539-2536-00000268379259F3.jpg

Last edited:

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As Tom stated, "They way I understand it, is Homoeomma sp. "blue" should be a Thrixoplema species, but not the same as what is now being sold as T. lagunas". I have listed in my add on AB Thrixopelma cf lagunas as they are new to me and came in listed as cf (compare to or confer with T. lagunas abstract(s) etc...). If this helps in any way here is a shot as a sling, but they have some growing to do. In addition and as stated, it acts entirely different then say ockerti which often climbs and is found on the sides of its container. The Thrixopelma cf lagunas seems not as flighty, is always on the ground, has almost no webbing, and has not burrowed in its enclosure either. Reminds me of Paraphysa scrofa as far as temperament and housing thus far.

Pushing over an inch now Thrixopelma cf lagunas

Devins shot of Homoeomma sp. "blue/small"

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums...2-9D56-BBA2D3770539-2536-00000268379259F3.jpg
The picture of your spiderling and the one you linked too look just like the spider I purchased as Homoeomma sp. 'blue' when it was that size. It's around 4" in leg span now, I believe.Same exact temperament as your description, too. I've always been leaning towards it being Thrixopelma cyaneolum, but I've never been exactly sure of what it is. When I get home later, I'll get a new picture of it and post here.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Main difference without examining the male's emboli and comparing it to other Thrixopelma is in the bold.
Thrixopelma lagunas sp. n. is the fourth species of the genus distributed in Peru. It is characterized by a prolonged embolus in the male (fig.4-5) and very simple receptacula seminis in the female (fig. 9). The scopula of metatarsus III extends over a third of the segment only. In T. pruriens Schmidt, 1998 it covers 2/3, in T. cyaneolum Schmidt, Friebolin & Friebolin, 2005 and in T. ockerti Schmidt, 1994, 1/2 of the metatarsus III. It differs by its dark brown colour from T. cyaneolum which shows a cyan brightness of carapace and extremities and from T. ockerti by its spermathecae which are pointed- caplike. The new species is closely related to T. pruriens also distri-buted in Peru.
From: Thrixopelma lagunas sp. n., eine bisher unbekannte Vogelspinnenart aus Peru (Araneae: Theraphosidae: Theraphosinae) Gunter Schmidt, Jan-Peter Rudloff 2010

Not sure how many specimens they examined to determine it is a legitimate key and not a variable from specimen to specimen but there you have it.

Tarantula Fangs

Arachnosquire
Well, looks like I'll be owning one afterall, I guess as long as I stay clear from those urticating hairs, I should be fine. Ill keep everyone posted.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Main difference without examining the male's emboli and comparing it to other Thrixopelma is in the bold.

"The scopula of metatarsus III extends over a third of the segment only. In T. pruriens Schmidt, 1998 it covers 2/3, in T. cyaneolum Schmidt, Friebolin & Friebolin, 2005 and in T. ockerti Schmidt, 1994, 1/2 of the metatarsus III."
So the scopula of metatarsus 3 according to the above just narrows down T. pruriens and T. lagunas or T. ockerti and T. cyaneolum.

T. ockerti and T. cyaneolum
1/2 of metatarus III scopulate

T. pruriens
2/3 of metatarus III scopulate

T. lagunas
"Over a third" metatarsus III scopulate

2/3 is "over a third" so it wouldn't be a good character by itself to identify to species level.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The picture of your spiderling and the one you linked too look just like the spider I purchased as Homoeomma sp. 'blue' when it was that size. It's around 4" in leg span now, I believe.Same exact temperament as your description, too. I've always been leaning towards it being Thrixopelma cyaneolum, but I've never been exactly sure of what it is. When I get home later, I'll get a new picture of it and post here.
Here are the pictures I said I'd post. The first was taken just a few moments ago

These two were taken before the most recent molt.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

Later, Tom
Exactly! Thanks for having someone else stating that :)