humidity&heat not a factor or is it???

brian&goliath

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am from belfast and have kept over 100 Ts and never used the recommended heat or humidity for diff. species.The heat here is practically 18 max in the summer and i use no heat at all just keep fresh water and every week spray the tanks.And in the winter i put the heat lights on every so often(every three to four days for abuot 5 hours) rest of the time just keep em at room temperature and ive never had an unsuccessful molt or any large number of short lived Ts have lost a few s/lings but hey who hasn't.
What do you all keep your vivarium at regards to humidity and heat do you go the recommended route????

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i only have 9 Ts in 2 years, and i too use nothing special. room temp and humidity is just fine. i just wish i listened to those who told me not to waste money on mats and lights.

brian&goliath

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i bought no heat mats just have 15w pygmy bulbs which were about2 pound sterling but even that was a waste as i dont use em

Zoo Keeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have been keeping t's for a little over ten years, and all mine are kept at room temp.

dwdeloach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Room temps around 76 degrees. I don't worry about humidity at all. No spraying, heat mats or lights. Everyone seems to do just fine. :D

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what if your room temp dorped to 10*C at night? or even 5*C would this be a probelm?

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cichlidsman said:
what if your room temp dorped to 10*C at night? or even 5*C would this be a probelm?
That sounds a little too cold, yes. Try and keep them at minimum 16-18*C. This is still on the chilly side, you should keep it warmer during day time. Cold temperatures decrease the activity of the spider, and affects growth rate.

brian&goliath

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my room temp would easily drop to about 10-15 at night and as previously said had no problems everything on heat/humidity/water dish/spraying is diff. for every tarantula too often people try to say this goes for one type of T and this for another which is wrong they are all individual.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Overmenneske said:
That sounds a little too cold, yes. Try and keep them at minimum 16-18*C. This is still on the chilly side, you should keep it warmer during day time. Cold temperatures decrease the activity of the spider, and affects growth rate.
thanks for the consern but this don't happen very often, but sometimes we have bad storms in the winter and that causes power outages, only for a day though.