When you buy Ts or slings.....

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do most of you buy one of this & that or many of the same species with hopes of raising & breeding?

It dawned on me that I may want to start buying multiples of my favorite Ts and raising them. Once I figure out what my favs are :?

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I buy whatever suits my fancy! Whenever I want it! {D

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oooohhhhhhh!!

A woman after my own heart. I usually tell my wife something like that if I want to get klunked on the head. ;) I still tell her though.

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
With adults, I usually stick to one of a particular species at a time.

With slings, I prefer to get 2 or 3 as they are more sensitive and don't always make it to adulthood. With more than one, I have better odds of growing a sling to full size.

Pixie

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A do what Pixie suggested. Also, since slings are cheap, you can get several of them for the price of a juv. If you get 4 slings and 1 dies, 2 are male, and 1 is female. You get the female that you wanted and you can sell/trade the males for something else if you want.

Isn't it bad to breed slings that come from the same sac?????
If so, how do you get the dealer to give you slings of differing blood lines? :confused:

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gene said:
Do most of you buy one of this & that or many of the same species with hopes of raising & breeding?

It dawned on me that I may want to start buying multiples of my favorite Ts and raising them. Once I figure out what my favs are :?
I think as far as breeding goes, most people hope they end up with females and then when their females are mature they'll look for a male for a breeding loan... Whenever one of my T's turns out to be male, the first thing I do is send it out to everyone with a female in order to breed it as much as possible and get lots of Tarantulas raised in captivity and thus back into the pet trade.

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
jesses said:
Whenever one of my T's turns out to be male, the first thing I do is send it out to everyone with a female in order to breed it as much as possible and get lots of Tarantulas raised in captivity and thus back into the pet trade.
That's very cool. :cool:

What do you get when you send out your males on breeding loans? I know there is a risk of loosing the male if the female decides to eat him. Knowing they are not long lived anyway I think captive breeding them as often as possible is the best thing to do when ever the chance arises.

I have heard of the 50/50 splits & such but what if you don't want all those little Ts at one time. Look at Eric's post (zombieagogo) he "potted" 2000 slings over the 4th. I love my Ts but I don't know that I could keep up with 500 much less 2000 :eek:

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gene said:
That's very cool. :cool:

What do you get when you send out your males on breeding loans? I know there is a risk of loosing the male if the female decides to eat him. Knowing they are not long lived anyway I think captive breeding them as often as possible is the best thing to do when ever the chance arises.
Usually I don't get (or ask) anything for it, and usually I don't get the male back also, sometimes they travel around the country. I just think that given the slim chances of getting a viable eggsac with live slings from a captive Tarantula, it's my responsibility to increase the chances as much as possible and if someone ends up with slings then I'll get some slings for free.

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Way cool. :cool:

Thanks for that insight.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I usually get 3 or more slings of a single species in hope that at least one is female, but not necessarily because I want to breed them.

Dekejis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If I really dig something, I'll ante up and buy a sexed female (usually an adult) and then a few slings of the same species. That way I get the female (and Presto-Big-Spider. I'm all about instant gratification.. hahaha) and also the fun of raising the slings too. I'll get the odd single here and there if something strikes my fancy as well.

Phalagorn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mostly I buy like 10 slings, allways someones who dies or became males! and I buy them for raising & breeding... :)

Lea

Arachnopeon
Bark said:
Isn't it bad to breed slings that come from the same sac?????
If so, how do you get the dealer to give you slings of differing blood lines? :confused:
Well... usually this does not happen: Males tend to mature faster than females and are very dead before females from same eggsack reach adulthood.

There is not much data on affects of inbreeding on tarantulas. But one could guess, as they have gotten along with this fussy sexual breeding stuff, that it would be beneficial for them - at least evolution has decided to keep it that way for many hundreds of millions of years.

As with any other animals inbreeding should not have significant effect if done just once. However inbreeding even with more distant relatives, if done constantly can have affect on population.What worries me a little is that tarantulas at the moment do not seem to have good breedingregister (or something like that - do not know to word in english) or at least such is not used (usually)

With very rare species inbreeding could be justified - but you must start preparing long time ahead: split the slings in two groups: and keep another group in cooler conditions with less food. Other half, keep warm and feed as much as they desire. Doing this, "warmer" patch will mature sooner and there might be a chance that female from warm patch might be able to produce an eggsack with brother that was kept cool and thus matured slowly.

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks a lot Lea!

I just didn't want to see any cross-eyed T's {D

Catherine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello,

I'm new to the board, so hello!

I always try and a buy a few of each. Like other people have said, that way you are more likely to get a nice mix of male and female and it won't be as bad if one dies. Although I haven't bred any of my T's yet, my plan is to buy some more slings from a different breeder a year or so down the line, and get a better blood line for it. Besides, If you get male and female slings its interesting to see how they differ in development. Just my thoughts.

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello & welcome.

What Ts do you have and really like?