Avicularia ID needed for a male.

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Avic ID

I bought this a while back as A metalica it moultes last week into a mature male.

can anyone here maybe help id this little guy. and no pointless posts please like Good luck finding out what it is and ooh thats pretty as I'm seriosuly wanting this ID for mating purposes.

Embolus

Last edited:

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
OOOOHHHH
THATS
Pretty ! :D ;P

Sorry Graham but I just couldn´t resist it! What with my very sad sence of humour! :rolleyes: :D :eek:

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tescos said:
OOOOHHHH
THATS
Pretty ! :D ;P

Sorry Graham but I just couldn´t resist it! What with my very sad sence of humour! :rolleyes: :D :eek:

LOL very Funny Chris :mad: :mad:

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Definitely not A. avicularia. I don't have any A. metallica myself, but from the photos of confirmed A.Mets I've seen, your's look like one. Has he got that metallic reflection off natural light?

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
JohnxII said:
Definitely not A. avicularia. I don't have any A. metallica myself, but from the photos of confirmed A.Mets I've seen, your's look like one. Has he got that metallic reflection off natural light?
How can you be so sure that it is not an Avic. avic? Avic. avics look just like that when they mature into males, sorry I know that's no help but I really don't know, it could be either? Greg

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Bearskin10 said:
How can you be so sure that it is not an Avic. avic? Avic. avics look just like that when they mature into males, sorry I know that's no help but I really don't know, it could be either? Greg
I stand corrected. :eek: One can never be so sure... especially the subject in question is aviculariinae... I now lean towards NOT being an A.avic because I saw a matured male labled "Guyana Pintoe Tarantula" in 1 of my local shops. And he still had some red on his abdomen and the green/blue on carapace & legs I & II etc. Lighting of course is a factor, both in my shop and in this picture... also I have a confirmed male A.avic which is about 1 moult from maturity, and he's still pretty red on the bottom and very green on the head, so I doubt he will have too dramatic a color change after his ultimate moult.

But if an experienced keeper like Mr. Wright himself is asking for second opinions, "probably not A.avic" is all I can offer for now. :)

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
JohnxII said:
I stand corrected. :eek: One can never be so sure... especially the subject in question is aviculariinae... I now lean towards NOT being an A.avic because I saw a matured male labled "Guyana Pintoe Tarantula" in 1 of my local shops. And he still had some red on his abdomen and the green/blue on carapace & legs I & II etc. Lighting of course is a factor, both in my shop and in this picture... also I have a confirmed male A.avic which is about 1 moult from maturity, and he's still pretty red on the bottom and very green on the head, so I doubt he will have too dramatic a color change after his ultimate moult.

But if an experienced keeper like Mr. Wright himself is asking for second opinions, "probably not A.avic" is all I can offer for now. :)

He did have some red on his abdomen untill he moulted

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
JohnxII said:
I have a confirmed male A.avic which is about 1 moult from maturity, and he's still pretty red on the bottom and very green on the head, so I doubt he will have too dramatic a color change after his ultimate moult.

It is an amazing thing what Ts go through in a molt, up until that maturing molt a male avic will look just like the female, another good example of change would be the P. irminia males, up until there maturing molt they are just like the females "nice black with there orange stripes" after there maturing molt they are a charcoal gray with a greenish tint to them. There are many other examples of color changes that different species go through at different stages. Greg

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would be alot more greatfull (no offense to anyone) if someone could give me a more possitive ID from that pic of the embolus

Cheers

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Im not 100% (tho one can never be more then 99%) but i dont think the embolus will help to pick between the two :( seeing as they may well be the same species anyway.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
i should have added some avic that have the classic very heavy grizzleing of A.met can also have some red flash's on the abdomen this is why i say take pic's before the final moult (then male's can be matched up better to keep them "pure")

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
FryLock said:
i should have added some avic that have the classic very heavy grizzleing of A.met can also have some red flash's on the abdomen this is why i say take pic's before the final moult (then male's can be matched up better to keep them "pure")
Cheers Fry for that info I'll also add that before his moult imo he looked Identical to my female A avic.

SO what do you think I should do attempt to mate them or just leave them

I'm trying my best to get it ID'd but if I cant get It ID'd what do you think I should do

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
If it looked A.avic the’s not much more you can do to there are many ppl who could check his last moult but I doubt the’s much they could say except Avic.sp most lightly A.avic :(.

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
FryLock said:
If it looked A.avic the’s not much more you can do to there are many ppl who could check his last moult but I doubt the’s much they could say except Avic.sp most lightly A.avic :(.

Well cheers I'm gona still try a bit more to see if anyone can help I'll even try to get the moult ID'd but if al eles fails i'll try and mate them and see what happens.

It definatly to me though looked like an A avic.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Martin H. said:
Hi,

I am curious what "confirmed A. metallica" are ? Confirmed by whom? Confirmed how?
*LOL*

By the colouration, obviously! ;-)

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With all the confusion with the Avicularia genus trying to breed them is quite difficult isn't it :?