pokie care questions?

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
this is just basically out of curiousity... i don't have $ or space for more t's right now but i was just curious....for future reference basically. i'd love an indian ornamental someday so i had been wondering what taking care of one would entail.

if i was to get a pokie what type of setup would be recommended.

also is there any special precautions you take with your pokies to ensure not getting bitten or having one escape?

thanks

GL3NE

Arachnopeon
Hey there...

I have had around half a dozen pokies over the past 5 years or so.. Here are a few tips...

Pokies are not generally aggressive however the reason why they are labeled suitable only for advanced hobbyists is because they are unpredictable. My 5.5" Female P. Fasciata generally NEVER shows aggression however is so incredibly fast when it is startled. It varies TOTALLY by species AND individual specimens.

Peocilotheria Regalis is generally a little more feisty than other species of the genus. So just use tongs, etc when maintaining the cage.

When transferring cages, have multiple containers set up around the area in case the spider makes a break for it. Also make sure you do it in an OPEN, WELL LIT area. Cover air vents, etc...This usually is not necessary however like I said, they are unpredictable, and it may be a little intimidating to stick your hand in front of a quick, venomous spider.

I use Kritter Keepers for everything. I found it isn't extremely necessary to tilt them on their side for arboreals; my Avicularia and Peocilotheria are especially happy even though there isn't a ton of climbing space. I use only smalls and mediums...In my opinion Mini's aren't very useful, and if you are going to house something larger than a medium, then you'd might as well put it in a glass aquarium.

Heh, I wrote a little more than I'd like, so I'll sum it up quick...

Vermiculite is fine for any pokie. They rarely come into contact with the substrate (except as spiderlings, when they make 'scrapes' in the ground), and vermiculite is soft, inexpensive, and VERY clean. I use Bed-A-Beast for my terrestrials.

Just my 1/50th of a Dollar.

-- Glen

xanadu1015

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have 2 P. regalis, and a P. rufilata that are slings/juveniles. I have them in small opaque plastic canister like containers I bought from a dollar store for a $1. Theres a little aquarium ornament in with the smaller ornimental T that it just loves. He is always haiding in there. I have about an inch of peat moss for substrate so I can have something to hold the mositure because I don't have any little water dishes. In the other regalis's home I have a little piece of bark and piece of silk like leaves. This one is a lot bigger now and on the sides of his container a lot. She has completely webbed up the inside leaving little tunnels. The P. rufilata is the smallest and I have just a little section of leaves in its home with a teeny piece of bark. It has everything webbed together and sits on the outside of this. I just spray the sides of the canister a couple times a week because I have many holes in the sides and lid so it is well ventilated. These canisters have snap on lids that are hard to open so I think the tarantulas are secure in there. They come in many sizes so I just buy the next size larger as the T's grow. I know how you feel, I waited for sometime to buy a "pokey" because I didn't feel ready. Then my husband bought me the 2 P. regalis as a nice surprise.They aren't too expensive when you get them as slings and they grow fast. Mine are not aggressive at all.

Sharon

protheus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So far, my P. regalis likes to run, and startles easily, but otherwise has been tame as a kitten. I wouldn't want to handle the swelling, etc, from a bite, so I'd be careful actually sticking your hand in front of one, but they're apparantly not bad.

I would suggest that if you'll transfer containers, try setting the old container inside of the new one (open the old one, close the new one), and waiting for the spider to come out. May be a more comfortable situation for both of you than having to chase it around the room ;)

Chris

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey thanks guys...doesn't really seem too difficult. i guess i'd just have to make sure i don't let one bite me haha.

anyways do they drink water by you misting the sides of their container?

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Keep them just like you do any other arboreal, tall container I use about 1"-1-1/2" peat moss which they will most likely incorporate into there web and a nice piece of cork bark, with the heat of the summer I mist every other day at least but that all depends of your climate it has been pretty dry here in Calif. As for being bit they are not demons and they will not attack you, just give them the respect they deserve don't go doing something stupid like sticking your hand in there house and all will be fine. Greg

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cool...maybe i will get one :D i just don't have a whole ton of experience so i want to make sure i know what i'd be getting into.

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
xBurntBytheSunx said:
cool...maybe i will get one :D i just don't have a whole ton of experience so i want to make sure i know what i'd be getting into.
I know where you are coming from waiting on getting them, so many come fresh into the hobby a want the biggest, the baddest and the most venomous and they fall right in there with the venom portion of that, so I commend you for waiting until you feel you are ready for one. I am pretty sure that I have seen you post that you keep avics. but I cannot recall if you have any Psalmopoeus? If you do I think that pokies have very similar temperaments to them maybe even a little bit less defensive and also a little shyer. They do get quiet large and there venom is one of the most potent of all the tarantulas so they definitely deserve there respect. I also waited awhile before I got a pokie, mostly because all the false info out there on them, I thought every time I was to open there enclosure they would either jet out or rear up and I have yet to see them do either. "Just my humble opinion" Greg

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have a pink toe and a sun tiger.... the suntiger built a burrow the second day i had it and is now the most reclusive t i own, so other than putting it in it's enclosure the first day i haven't really had any experiences with it haha.

ah well... i will probably get one at some point. i personally think p. regalis is one of the most attractive t's i have seen a picture of so i'd like one at some point... i am somewhat intimidated by the strong venom, but i think if i took the proper precautions i wouldn't have any trouble at all. i just need to know what the proper precautions are :D

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bearskin10, that's the most beautiful Poecilotheria i've ever seen. Simply beautiful. ;)