Fried Tarantulas

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
this has to be the sickest thing i have ever seen. i hope they get the runs for a week.

aaron

Arachnopeon
i guess it would be kind of like people eating shrimp or lobsters. but no one is complaining about people eating them.

Hemolymph

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I figured someone must have gotten to it first.. although i searched and couldn't find it ! It must of slipped past my eyes ;-)

Sorry to make a repeat then.

- Jeni

Last edited:

word

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
this thread reminds me of how stomatopods (mantis shrimp) are fried up and eaten in certain parts of the world but here they are a beautiful and incredible pet.

here's some pics:

click here for more on mantis shrimp (trust me, they are friggin cool!)
http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/index.htm

Lea

Arachnopeon
Call me cruel, then, but I would certainly taste tarantula - Preferably done by natives in Amazonia (as they are wise enough to remove the urticating hair before eating) Or those enjoyed as local delicacy in Thailand (no itchy hairs at all)

I would not eat my own pets, of course, but hey - I have had pet-cow and I still enjoy hamburgers. And I have taken care of the cutiest piggies (you know the ones that are size of mans palm and soft and warm and cuddly) and it does not stop me from eating bacon. I would also taste dog (I love dogs as pets and would acquire one in heartbeat if my hubby was not allergic) if I knew it was humanely put down.

However I would not touch food made by obvious idiots like in this case - Yes I wish they will have problems with their throats: not for eating tarantula but for being ignorant. Morans. It is kind of like eating fugu made by someone who does not have slightest clue of how it is done. Plain stupid.

priZZ

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Why cruel?

You eat chicken, or cow as well?!

spot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
****quote from previous post re: mantis shrimp ***
they are a beautiful and incredible pet.
click here for more on mantis shrimp (trust me, they are friggin cool!)
http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/index.htm[/QUOTE]

those are awesome!!!!

ok, back to the discussion. logically, yes in some circumstances people will eat tarantulas. but to see a photo of a deep-fried chilean rose! :eek: , sorry, I'm going to get emotional!!!!

Last edited:

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's no more cruel that any other kind of meat eating. It's a rather expensive meal though.

Many countries eat cats and dogs. Guinea pigs are a staple food in the Andes. Rabbits are a common meal around the world. The french eat horses. Land inverebrates are traditional food in S.America, Africa, India, Australia and Indonesia. I'm a big fan of aquatic invertebrates and fish as food. All these things are kept as pets in other countries.

I would expect there to be a strong reaction against eating tarantulas on this board, since we keep the as pets. I would expect an equally strong reaction if someone posted pictures of S.Koreans eating a cat on ratemykitten.com.

You'd get the same reaction from a Hindu if you suggested eating a cow.

No big deal.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
aaron said:
i guess it would be kind of like people eating shrimp or lobsters. but no one is complaining about people eating them.
i live in a fishing twon and crab and lobsters are a big catch hear. can tarantula hunters go out and catch several hundread a day(i don't think so), but the crab and lobsters are way more plentyful. if everyone hunted spiders for food there woulden be meny left in a couple of years.

eksong

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
luther said:
S.Koreans eating a cat on ratemykitten.com.
Where the hell are you getting this. I'm Korean, I've lived in Korea for half my life, I live a Korean lifestyle, but I have never heard of anyone here eating cats.

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I bow to your first hand knowledge. I based my statement purely on academic learning. From what I understand the practice of eating dogs and, to a lesser extent, cats is mainly associated with the rural Cantonese, particularly of the Guangdong province. Extended periods of Chinese occupation of Korea may have carried with it this culinary tradition. I don't know whether it is a traditional rural Korean practice or simply a misdocumented observation, or even a popular modern myth. I have read that it is not traditional, simply something that came about in the 80's as a delicacy for the rich. It is both denied and acknowledged as a tradition, depending on who you talk to.

I do know that the abolition of cat and dog eating in Republic of Korea was supposedly achieved in 1978, 1980, 1984, 1986, 1988, and 1991, the latter being through the Korean Animal Protection Law.

My mistake may well have been the prefixing of South onto the Korean. Perhaps this might be a North Korean cultural thing?

I ceratinly did not mean to cause offence. If it's of any help I should mention that cat has also been eaten in Britain. During wartime rationing, cats found their way into "rabbit" stews/pies and hence earned themselves the nickname "roof-rabbit".

Since cats are obligate carnivores they are impractical to farm for food, being at the top of the food pyramid. They only become economical where the cat is fed on scraps or where it eats rodents.

OK. That's got to be the most OT post I ever made. My apologies all round.

I'm off to get a cheese sarnie. Or maybe just a slice of toast.