What size for sexing???

blckwidow75

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In the Tarantula Keeper's Guide it states that the spermathecae become apparent after the sixth or seventh molt (page 51), right? My question is this...how many molts would you figure a 1" C. Fimbriatus has had? Mine has had 2 molts in my care and I was able to extract the exuvium last night. There is NO flap!! Maybe it's just too early? Might it develop within the next couple of molts?
I also had my A. Seemanni molt today and again, I see NO flap! :mad: This really stinks.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At one inch I doubt you would see anything without a microscope...usually around the 3 inch mark a trained eye can sex T.s with a good molt...

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

blckwidow75

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I did have my handy dandy magnifying glass and was able to see it pretty clearly, but hey if you think there's hope for a female I can wait longer for confirmation on that! ;)

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Just FYI - myself and a few other dealers offer free sexing from molts. Depending on the condition of the exuvium and the species I generally accept molts with legspans of 1.5" or greater. There is no substitute for having molts examined by an experienced person with a high quality stereo dissecting microscope with dual illumination.

To send exuvia for sexing:

1. Carefully remove molt from cage using forceps to grasp a leg at the femur.

2. Place molt in a vial or baggie and add a few drops of rubbing alcohol. Just a few - do not saturate molt.

3. Label each individual container/bag clearly with scientific name and any ID number or name you might have.

4. Place containers/bags in a larger bag and pack securely in a small box. Include a note with your email address.

5. Mail to: Michael Jacobi, P.O. Box 331725 Nashville TN 37203

6. Await email reply :)