Greenbottle Blue sling molted

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have been power feeding it and keeping temps at 80-82 F. It has barely been 6 weeks since it molted last. Can someone tell me if that is normal time or has my feeding decreased time between molts. Also can someone tell me when the adult colors should start showing?

Attachments

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
these are one of my favs nice pics. i think they start showing adult colours when they get around 2" or a little before. i dont have one so someong els may be off better help.

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine just moulted to about the 2" mark (im pretty sure but i havent measured it) and it finally got some of its adult coloring. The legs are all green now and I can see more red hair on the abdomen but the tiger striping on the abdomen is still there at this point.

ddale

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mine molted over the weekend and is now a little over 1". How long do you normally wait after a molt to feed a GBB sling?

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
g.rosea is supossed to be quit slow and i find that if a rosey just molted into a 1" spider it will molt again in 2 months, so your spider may be sooner.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
cichlidsman said:
g.rosea is supossed to be quit slow and i find that if a rosey just molted into a 1" spider it will molt again in 2 months, so your spider may be sooner.
I hope so. I am trying to get it to grow as quick as possiblr so I can feed it bigger crickets. Now I am mostly feeding it wild caught grasshoppers (pesticide free of course). When winter comes I will have to go to crickets. I can get grown crickets here in my town but I have to drive 70 miles just to get pinheads.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Brian S said:
I hope so. I am trying to get it to grow as quick as possiblr so I can feed it bigger crickets. Now I am mostly feeding it wild caught grasshoppers (pesticide free of course). When winter comes I will have to go to crickets. I can get grown crickets here in my town but I have to drive 70 miles just to get pinheads.
the spider on top of the page looks too big for pinheads. if i were you i would feed it medum sized crickets. just rip off the jumping legs and the 2 sets of antinna. if the body size of the cricket is the same as the spider not including the legs of the spider then it should be ok. thats all i do. pinheads would be good for spider around 1/4" or 1/2.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Mine are about 1.5"-1.75", still full sling colorations. When yours get full adult colorations, you'll miss their tiger stripes, trust me! ;)

Also, I discovered they can eat more than you think, i.e. butts can get disproportionally big, as slings. So power feed away, if you wish to see those blue/green sooner.

sanguinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Brian S, You could raise pinheads yourself, it's not hard, I got some without trying. My avic. metallica jar had quite a few , a cricket I threw in to feed my T must have laid some eggs in the damp vermiculite. I collected the little guys and put them in my cricket keeper.

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
April 23rd 2004 - Got Stalin the Curly Hair Tarantula

May 11 2004 - Stalin Molted 1 inch leg span

June 5th 2004 - Stalin molted looks to be about 2" leg span?

June 22nd 2004 - Scanned Stalin.... Most likely female.

July 6th 2004 - Stalin molted again, 3 inches!

I copied and pasted these records. Notice the very short time between molts so far.

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
scorpiove.....i raised 10 B. albopilosum slings and they all grew like weeds like that.....but they progressively slowed down as they got bigger...
are you keeping them extra warm and power feeding them to get these results?

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I feed it 1 - 2 crickets a day now since the molt before last, and its almost always above 80 degrees in my house. :p

Chris V

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Brian S said:
Brian, that molt looks slightly larger than the quarter. That being the case Im guessing your GBB is well over 1 inch. It should be more than capable of handling a Med - Lg cricket. Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens are voracious eaters and if your still worried about it just take a pair of scissors and cut the abdomin off the cricket just infront of the jumping legs, throw in both pcs and "Viola, dinner is served"...

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Chris V said:
Brian, that molt looks slightly larger than the quarter. That being the case Im guessing your GBB is well over 1 inch. It should be more than capable of handling a Med - Lg cricket. Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens are voracious eaters and if your still worried about it just take a pair of scissors and cut the abdomin off the cricket just infront of the jumping legs, throw in both pcs and "Viola, dinner is served"...
It is over an inch long. Over the weekend I fed it 3 medium sized crickets. It is indeed a voracious eater especially now after a molt.

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Gotta love those colors starting to come in :), exciting isn't it.