T Blondi feeding Lizard 0 Spider 1

Runaway987

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Found this medium sized lizard at my workplace today they are plentiful so i gave it to my spider.

He charged over and "felt" it out with his palps first, he hasnt ever had something like this, then wiggle wiggle and it was all over, those fangs went right in like it hadnt been fed for a year (As the abdomen will tell this is v untrue)

God damn i love my spider.

He is about 12cm long (spider not the Lizard) :D

Attachments

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OK just wanted to say I thought that is unessesarry and you shoulf know since you like in the UK that feeding live vertabrates to Tarantulas is very much against the law.

Arachnoking

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just for your information thats no lizard mate. looks like a newt or some sort of salamander. and some species carry toxins so id be very carefull about feeding things like that to your T, plus as G wright has said above it is illegal to feed live vertibrates to other animals in th UK.

Arachnoking

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No probs, just thought u should know about the legal side of it :)

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
From the picture I'd say that is either a female Smooth or Palmate Newt. You got lucky to some degree, since unlike the Great Crested Newt it isn't a protected species. GCN's are also poisonous to predators. That would have been a tremendous mistake.

I'd say that a good rule of thumb is don't feed stuff to your very expensive T unless you know exactly what it is. A second good rule is not to post pictures of vertebrate food on the boards if you are in the UK.

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
"She turned me into a newt....what? i got better" - yet another monty python quote
ah you english fellows know good comedy

Runaway987

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well im really not worried about having my door kicked in by the RSPCA its not like im beating a dog or underfeeding it etc.

Although i admit i was ignorant of the possibility of this newt being protected (I knew about the greater cresteds, i have several in my pond) its no different from feeding your dog with pork based food etc.

It all depends on your view i guess, sorry to those who i offended.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
NP from me m8 im not offended but good points have been pointed out, once a chap told me how much his L.para liked slow worms :mad: and said they where common were he lived (i believe he was breaking the WCA big time) i kept my cool and tryed to get him to give her mice insted but it was hard (iv never seen a live one myself to this day :()

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I was just concerned that you nearly fed a poisonous protected species to your T. I'm not offended. You were trying to give your T a varied diet. That's cool.

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Illegal to feed vertibrates to a spider in the UK?

That piques my interest, could you explain that? Does this extend to feeder mice?

Maybe even start a new thread to explain it.

Wes

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's a very odd law. I assume it was formulated as part of the law to combat some of the traditional savage sport treatment of dogs, badgers, bears and such in the UK. I can't really see how feeding live rodents to creatures that normally eat live rodents in the wild could be so bad. It must make the keeping of some animals very difficult, like snakes and birds of prey.

I have a friend who is an RSPCA inspector. I'll ask her when I next see her.

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i was about to say that has got to be a salamander good luck im hoping it ain't poisinous but i have no clue if their poison has any effect on Ts

mike

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Its fully and completely legal so long as it you were ever pulled up in front of a judge for doing it that you could prove that the animal you fed with a live vertebrate would have died unless it was offered live i.e. it would not eat defrosted/or fresh killed, snake keepers have that have been found out have been ok for this reason but others have not :rolleyes: if i can find the case's im thinking of il post them.