Adult Coloration in Pokies

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Quick question for the masses: When will juvenile pokies start showing the onset of there adult coloration. Mine are still fairly small, but one of my mid size babies is starting to look a lot lighter than the others. My largest is about two and a half inches post molt ( two days ago ). Not that Im looking for bright reds, yellows or blues, but something other than a dull brown, beige or what I fondly refer to as dirt...

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Normally at 2-1/2" - 3" they starts showing off how they will look as adults, so your largest one should start showing its colors next molt. Greg

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I didnt know there was a time when they didnt show their "adult coloration"

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
RazorRipley said:
I didnt know there was a time when they didnt show their "adult coloration"
Must not have raised many pokies then.

@Ker,
Actually, depending on the species, you should have the full patterns by the 4" mark. Even past that however, you will probably notice the shades and colors will still change (even dramaticaly) over time. Especially through the duration of each instar. Even an adult pokie can have that drab, mottled appearance just before or during pre-molt. Of course after the molt you will have something to marvel at indeed.
Oh, just for example, one of my P. regalis recently molted and hit the 5" mark. Before this, it had for the most part what we might consider adult coloration but after it's exo had cured I noticed the overall color had gone from a sort of creamy, light tan to a more of an ashy white color.
Anyhow, I hope that helps. :)

Take care.

Atrax

Last edited: