Pesticides

Graham Kosinec

Arachnopeon
I am currently catching wild Grasshoppers from an area I am 99% sure is pesticide free. Just in case though, i kept them quarantined for 48 hours to see if they died, and if they didn't i fed them to my Salmon pink. I read somewhere this was OK. Is it?

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i search for grasshoppers in grass feilds that nobody uses for anything. where do you find yours?

Graham Kosinec

Arachnopeon
I find mine in Fish Creek. It is a forest in the city. Im prety sure there is no pesticides or herbicides used but just in case there is, I dont feed them to the T right away. Is it true that if the Grasshoppers were exposed to pesticides they would die in 48 hours? I read that somewhere and now im just making sure its true before I feed any more.

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think that's not the whole truth. Some pesticides target some species and not others, so an apparently healthy insect may not be safe to ingest by another animal. Furthermore, insects that thrive in areas that are sprayed may be resistant to the pesticide. Resistance is a major problem, and it is why manufacturers need to periodically change formulas. So again, your apparently healthy insect may not be safe, even after a day or two. Then again, some pesticides break down very quickly. There are many variables to consider. Many people feed WC insects without problems, and then there's the poor bloke who feeds one WC cricket and kills his T. It's your call.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tamara said:
I think that's not the whole truth. Some pesticides target some species and not others, so an apparently healthy insect may not be safe to ingest by another animal. Furthermore, insects that thrive in areas that are sprayed may be resistant to the pesticide. Resistance is a major problem, and it is why manufacturers need to periodically change formulas. So again, your apparently healthy insect may not be safe, even after a day or two. Then again, some pesticides break down very quickly. There are many variables to consider. Many people feed WC insects without problems, and then there's the poor bloke who feeds one WC cricket and kills his T. It's your call.
i agree, the grass may be resistant but your spider may not. be carefull.