tibial spurs

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
do g.rosea have tibial spurs? i have never seen a male(i don't think). and when you look at the book lungs of a spider what are you looking for?

Zoo Keeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes, the males have hooks. I am not sure what you are asking about the book lungs, sorry.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Grammostola rosea mature males have tibial spurs

The booklungs look like four little squares that are lighter colored than the rest of the tarantula, and can be found on the ventral side of the abdomen, toward the cephalothorax.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
phoenixxavierre said:
The booklungs look like four little squares that are lighter colored than the rest of the tarantula, and can be found on the ventral side of the abdomen, toward the cephalothorax.
im sorry i wasnt more clear. i know what book lungs are, but some people use them for sexing, how?

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Zoo Keeper said:
Yes, the males have hooks. I am not sure what you are asking about the book lungs, sorry.
are they the same size as that off the starburst baboon(pterinochilus murinus)?

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sexing

cichlidsman said:
im sorry i wasnt more clear. i know what book lungs are, but some people use them for sexing, how?
Some tarantulas are easy to sex this way while others aren't. Males possess special hairs between the upper pair of book lungs that they use to make their sperm web. These can be seen in the form of a small black triangle or patch of black on some species, between those upper two lungs. The females do not have the patch.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
phoenixxavierre said:
Some tarantulas are easy to sex this way while others aren't. Males possess special hairs between the upper pair of book lungs that they use to make their sperm web. These can be seen in the form of a small black triangle or patch of black on some species, between those upper two lungs. The females do not have the patch.
when you say "upper" do you mean anterior or do you mean posterior?

Zoo Keeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you have a male you will definitly notice them. They are avarage size. Also look to see if the pedi palps, are larger.

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Before this thread gets out of hand I would recommend a read of the following: << click here >>

Oh and I would do a search on "sexing" and "tarantula" and start reading ;P

hth

Jeff

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
jcohen9999 said:
Before this thread gets out of hand I would recommend a read of the following: << click here >>

Oh and I would do a search on "sexing" and "tarantula" and start reading ;P

hth

Jeff
thanks for the site it helped i think.