OBT breeding question

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just purchased 2 usambara orange baboons, a mature female and a mature male fo $40 Canadian. I want to breed them ,where do I start. I don't Know how long the male has been mature for so I want to do this soon because he is looking a little rough. Also the female seems to be extremly aggresive, is this going to be a problem? I was told by the pet store that he had aready built his first sperm web in the deli cup on the way to the pet store. Any advise would be much appreciated. :confused:

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
8 leg wonder said:
I just purchased 2 usambara orange baboons, a mature female and a mature male fo $40 Canadian. I want to breed them ,where do I start. I don't Know how long the male has been mature for so I want to do this soon because he is looking a little rough. Also the female seems to be extremly aggresive, is this going to be a problem? I was told by the pet store that he had aready built his first sperm web in the deli cup on the way to the pet store. Any advise would be much appreciated. :confused:
Start by making sure the pair are hydrated, then make sure they are well fed.

The times I have bred this species, the females (despite their apparent "nasty" attitudes) were very gentle with the males.

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Also when she lays the eggsac should I separate her from the egg sac or should i let her incubate it herself

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you get an eggsack, you should leave it in with the female for about 30 days. At that time, the eggs should have molted into nymphs (eggs with legs). Then you can remove them from the eggsack into a hammock type incubator, or if you really want to go all out, a mechanical mom. I belive its another 30 days before they will molt into 2nd instar and be able to start eating. After that molt you should seperate them. The other options are to pull the eggsack right away and incubate it the whole time, or leave the eggsack with the mother until it hatches and the nymphs molt into 2nd. Hope this helps, Im sure other members will have more tips for ya too.

Sky

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I've bred this species 3 times, and gotten 3 eggsacs. I think it would be a challenge to NOT be successful with this species! I left the males in with the females also...as has been noted, they are usually very tolerant of the males. All 3 times, the females ate the male just before making the eggsac. They are generally good moms too, so I'd leave the sac with the mom for 30 days or so.
good luck!

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They just finished the deed. I've just finished separating them all went well.

Chris V

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are the males typically less defensive than the females? I have one thats probably 4.5 " (its seldom out so I dont know its exact size or sex) and I was expecting something with an attitude. Ive had it bout 6 months now and dig it out every so often, its only struck at the brush twice. Once when I was unpacking it from its shipping vial and once just before a molt. It doesnt flip on its back or throw temper tantrums like so many of the traits Ive read about in other threads. As a matter of fact you can push it around with the brush and it acts no different than my rosie.
My question being , "Is this a sexual trait or do I just have one laid back OBT?

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think you just have a laid back one, my female fliped on her back 2 time while trying to box her up at the pet store and once when I got her home. My male isn't to bad though, he hasn't thrown any tantrums yet