Help! New Tarantula (wannabe) Owner!

Kappy

Arachnopeon
Hey, I'm looking into getting a Tarantula, and I have, *NO* idea where to start!!!!!
Which type would be the easiest to handle for a beginner? :confused:

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kappy said:
Hey, I'm looking into getting a Tarantula, and I have, *NO* idea where to start!!!!!
i would have to say the chilean rose( g.rosea)

Kappy

Arachnopeon
cichlidsman said:
i would have to say the chilean rose( g.rosea)
Alright, I've looked into that.
Which type of habitat would be suitable for it? How tall - wide should the tank be? And do i have to use a tank? what other things could be used to contain it?
And how easily can it escape? Will i have to put books on the lid?
sorry about all the questions...:p

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Depending on the size of the spider you can buy a "kritter keeper " from most pet shops...for a rosie all you need is DRY peatmoss and a half log hide and a water dish and room temps are generally fine...Good Luck..

Welcome to the boards....

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I house all my tarantulas in kritter keepers and they are perfect. A rosehair would be a ideal tarantula to begin with.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kappy said:
Start off by reading one or both of the following books:

"Tarantulas and Other Arachnids" by Sam Marshall

"The Tarantula Keepers Guide" by Stan and Marguerite Schultz

I think Brachypelma albopilosum(Curly hair) is a better starter than G. rosea. Curly hairs don't give newbies the worries that Chilean Rose tarantulas do.
G. rosea is unpredictable in its eating habits and for the most part become "statues"/"pet rocks" once they settle into an enclosure. A Curly hair will feed often and consistently , will grow faster/molt more frequently and will usually move dirt and redecorate their enclosures on a regular basis. My curly hair always starts digging prior to a molt.

Zombie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I suggest either a Chaco Golden Knee (Grammostola aureostriata) or a Pink Zebra Beauty (Eupalaestrus campestratus). Both are extremely docile and easy to care for.
Rose Hair (Grammostola rosea) tarantulas are hit and miss concerning their temperments and eating habits, in my experience.
Yeah, Curly Hairs (Brachypelma albopilosum) are great beginner tarantulas as well, inexpensive and docile.

Eric
www.e-spiderworld.com

Last edited:

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
zombieagogo said:
I suggest either a Chaco Golden Knee (Grammostola aureostriata) or a Pink Zebra Beauty (Eupalaestrus campestratus). Both are extremely docile and easy to care for.
Rose Hair (Grammostola rosea) tarantulas are hit and miss concerning their temperments and eating habits, in my experience.
Yeah, Curly Hairs (Grammostola albopilosum) are great beginner tarantulas as well, inexpensive and docile.

Eric
www.e-spiderworld.com

Curly Hair = Brachypelma albopilosum :p But Yeah I have one that just molted and she is a mighty fine girl! :p

P.S. I know too that you didn't mean to put Grammostola :p

Last edited:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I've just recently gotten into Tarantulas (since november), i have an E. campestratus, and a G. Rosea (my first), i would suggest the Campestratus over the rosea, they are more active (usually), and i find them a little more visually appealing:)

My two cents worth
Mori

Last edited:

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you are going to get a tarantula from a petstore, the kind you would find would probably be a G. rosea. Don't know what is available to you. I think that the "curly hair" Brachypelma alboplosum is the perfect first tarantula and rel easy to care for. Some Chilean roses are not as "friendly" as this species. A Chilean rose is pretty interesting though. Mine is out in the open walking around most of the time and very easy to care for also.

Sharon

BBlack

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There's a great sticky on the top of the T forum about Roseas you should take a read.

Also try a search adn you'll 99% of the time get all your answers and more.

Welcome to the boards, you'll love it.

Zombie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Scorpiove said:
Curly Hair = Brachypelma albopilosum :p But Yeah I have one that just molted and she is a mighty fine girl! :p

P.S. I know too that you didn't mean to put Grammostola :p
DOH!!!

(quickly wipes pie off face)

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
Buspirone said:
A Curly hair will feed often and consistently , will grow faster/molt more frequently
B. albopilosum is the slowest grower of my collection. Well, perhaps is in competition with A. moderatum there. G.rosea is one of my favorites, as they always keep you guessing - and I've found them to be fascinating to raise from slings.

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would recommend G. aureostriata (chaco), B. albopilosum (curly hair) or the ever favorite Avic. avic. (Guyana Pinktoe) I have seen almost no defensive behavior from these three species, as for G. roseas (rose hairs) they are not on the top of my list for anything, I own 3 and they can be a pretty boring species and as for there temperament most of them are docile as can be but there seems to be quite a few skitzo and psycho rose hairs out there (I have one of them). Greg

gusman1204

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
how come noone suggested b.smithi? a very nice colorful T to start with, docile as well, can kick hairs though but so do other new worlds :p

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
gusman1204 said:
how come noone suggested b.smithi? a very nice colorful T to start with, docile as well, can kick hairs though but so do other new worlds :p
No one suggested it because they are too expensive for a starter tarantula.