Pinhead Cricket Question

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
I am in need of some pinheads (real small) and pretty fast too. I have used all of mine and my slings have not had any food in about 3 weeks now. But two of the 4 molted in the past two weeks anyways.

My local Petco doesnt stock pinheads and no one else in my deadbeat town has them. Where can I get some fast?

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How big are the slings? Maybe try maggots instead. You can get plenty of them at fishing stores. If your slings are really small then a maggot is too big and scary for them, but you can chop maggots in half and the slings should love them.
Tamara

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
somebody said something about offering a leg of a regular cricket if you can't find pinheads...don't know for sure, but if you can't find any you could try...

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
you can also cut mealworms up if you have those. I tried pinheads once, and won't ever do it again...they were all over my house :)
I just cut up a larger something and the slings will eat that. You can also use beefheart in a pinch...

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some slings accept dead prey. You could try offering a part of a medium cricket.
My 0,25'' B. emilia slings accept them well.

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey Chris,
I order my pinheads from the cricket factory...only takes two days to get them. I also order fruitflies from the wormman in Cali. A vile of those will last you quite awhile. But I've also have success taking regular small crickets and mashing them a little, then dropping them in. My L. parahybana pounces on them, (must think he's killing them!)

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
sizes of t's

I have:

A. versi (just molted 3-4 days ago) about 1" legspan
A. geniculata about 1/4" legspan
E. campestratus (just molted a week ago) with 1" legspan

I have an order from Flukers for full size crickets coming in on the 15th but that wont take care of these slings. I need small pinheads or something like 3 day old ones.

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't think I've ever had a sling that wouldn't accept a larger, prekilled cricket or a piece of one. I would give that a try.

Steve

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If the slings aren't to small try offering them a medium sized cricket with the back legs removed. My B. smithi sling has taken prey twice the size of it's body in the past

Last edited:

lta3398

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I, too, tried pinheads and didn't like them. My slings seem to do just fine on me mashing up or cutting up small crickets and putting those in the deli cups. So far, so good!