My next T

leo3375

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was at the pet shop getting crickets for my T when I saw that they had in a 1.5" captive-bred G. pulchra for $75. I get paid next Friday and won't be able to get the T until next Sunday. I'm just curious as to whether or not this is a good choice for a second T, and what kind of care it would need since it's from a more tropical climate than my rosie.

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's an excellent choice for your second T! Very docile tarantulas, for sure. I'd keep it the same way as your rosehair, maybe mist once a week at 1.5 inches. I don't change a thing in the way I keep mine, and it's closing in on 1 inch at the moment.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
They are a little rare to come by in the hobby for some reason. It's a great T for any experience level, but personally I think the price tag is a little high for a 1.5 incher. If you're familiar with the shop, try to talk it down a bit.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree on the price it needs to come down a bit I paid $35 for mine and it was 1.25"

Greaper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There is no greater T than the Grammostola pulchra. God rest my G.pulchras soul.(handling accident) :(

Citharischius

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've got 2 G.pulchra's . Nice spiders , but I think they are a little boring .
They dont dig , dont make a lot of web , and they dont have a temperament (dont know if i spelled this right but I mean how they react on things)
But if its your second T, i would say this is a good choice .

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Citharischius said:
I've got 2 G.pulchra's . Nice spiders , but I think they are a little boring .
They dont dig , dont make a lot of web , and they dont have a temperament (dont know if i spelled this right but I mean how they react on things)
But if its your second T, i would say this is a good choice .
I think it's just individual personalities. My 2 slings readily burrow. My sub-adult female likes to dig a lot and shifts dirt around, but doesn't burrow. Although she likes to tag any foreign objects that move around her domain. Once she even bit my stainless steel forceps! :eek: Must've been really hungry.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I think my girl "Chrysler" is a 'big' girl, but they do grow at an exceedingly slow rate... A note, starting at 1½" is a good starting size, should show adult colors in about a year, just don't get too impatient waiting on it to get large. I have 4 others, but did get impatient, and had to buy an adult female. :eek: :eek:
My others range from ½-3"

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Arachnofriend
Old Timer
Definitely a good choice. And 1.5" is a good size to get them at I believe. You can watch them grow and get a stronger connection with them so the liklihood of an accident will be far less, not to mention you'll have a greater appreciation for them.

leo3375

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you so much for the input! I'm calling them today to see if they still have the G. pulchra and if they do, I'm going to have them hold it for me until tomorrow. I will also buy peat moss, a spray bottle, and get a sample cup from Starbucks and a small container lid. I've already decided to call the little guy Poe. If it turns out to be male, the full name will be Edgar Allan Poe. If female, the ful name will be Raven Poe.

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Good choice! I bought one from Swifts, 1.5" for $55. I think that was a good price, and I was very happy with it! It eats like crazy, fumbles, and almost rolls when it grabs its food!!

I hate hearing they are such slow growers, but it is worth it! I had a Blondi sling, and now she is 8"! I LOVE it!

Good luck!

Angela

Kismet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
leo3375 said:
I've already decided to call the little guy Poe. If it turns out to be male, the full name will be Edgar Allan Poe. If female, the ful name will be Raven Poe.
That's a great name for a G. pulchra!!!! {D

Kismet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My G.pulchra

I just recently got a G. pulchra and am pleased as punch with it. They're really beautiful Ts - kinda remind me of the big black plastic spiders you see at Halloween :D . It's bit more active than the Rosie but is kept in pretty much the same way.

Here's mine...

Last edited:

leo3375

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I decided to bring Poe home today since I have a few hours before I need to be to work. {D I got a small-medium Kritter Keeper and some Jungle Mix. I had a water dish and some cork bark lying around and am usind a Dixie cup as a temporary hide. (S)he (hoping she) is climbing the walls right now and is a little spooked. Feisty little critter, though, and very curious. Artemis (my Rosie) is probably wondering what's in the enclosure next to her because it doesn't sound like crickets.