NEW & improved Avic enclosure

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My poor Blue won't know what he did wrong, but tomorrow he'll be placed into his newest and best enclosure yet (thanks to WayneT & MizM ;) )

I had SO much fun putting this together all morning. It's a doll case, measuring 8" square and 18" tall. First I repainted the entire frame in a black/bronze color. Then I put it together and melted countless airholes in the back, using a soldering iron. Added holes to the top and a few all around. I used one of our kitchen cabinet knobs for a handle + weight on the top (hubby won't notice I'm sure {D )

Decorating it was the most fun, of course. I had purchased cork bark finally and spread it out, secured it, and added some silk flowers to it. Voila'. I like it so much, I dared keeping it downstairs instead of hiding it away upstairs so no "visitors" will get freaked out.

As soon as I no longer smell paint I can add "Blue".
Wayne, MizM..... I LOVE IT!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! :)

---
Wendy
---

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
WOW! That looks great! I'll be off to the craft store tomorrow to look for some of those doll cases :D

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you SO much Diane...but YOU still have the most astounding, most beautiful, gorgeous T enclosures I have EVER seen. Your designs are truly inspiring!

---
Wendy
---

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well Wendy it looks fantastic!! I love the color you went with, and I'd never thought of the handy little knob trick on top! Wonderful :) I'll have to update mine. Thanks for showing it, can't wait to see Blue in it either. MizM will get a kick out of seeing it as well, I'm sure.

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wendy,

Looks very nice, he will really like the new enclosure.

Mike

oogieboogie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can you tell me where you purchased the doll case? Or the actual name of the doll case, or the brand?

Ive been to hobby lobby and they did not have anything like that.

Also how much did it cost?

Thanks
Daniel Kelly

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Daniel,

I didn't purchase it. It was a present from WayneT & MizM. I do know that a store called "Hobby Lobby" sells them.

I already threw out the box it came in, otherwise I'd be able to give you the serial number or exact name, I'm sorry about that.

---
Wendy
---

oogieboogie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Socrates said:
Daniel,

I didn't purchase it. It was a present from WayneT & MizM. I do know that a store called "Hobby Lobby" sells them.

I already threw out the box it came in, otherwise I'd be able to give you the serial number or exact name, I'm sorry about that.

---
Wendy
---

Boooooooooooooo

My hobby lobby sucks then. They dont have them. *sigh*

O well.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
nice! I'll be on the lookout for those as well.
I am taking one of my 10 gallons and remodeling it, as the occupant died yesterday :(
She was in there almost 3 years, so I've got some cleaning to do! Once I get it done, I think I'll add my P regalis pair that are cramped into a 1 gallon clear rubbermaid.
I'm excited about making a nice showpiece enclosure again, haven't done that in quite a while....

oogieboogie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wanted to pick up one of those enclosures to test it out. Currently I keep my arboreals in these...

And I have a few mixed in here....

And I have this cage with my Pacman frog inside.

I have a few other custom enclosures ive made for my snakes as well. And two custom cages for my Bearded dragons too.

Im all about the custom enclosure!!!

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
oogieboogie said:
Boooooooooooooo

My hobby lobby sucks then. They dont have them. *sigh*

O well.
The doll cases are a discontinued item in the craft dept. They're also marked at 66% off currently, which is why you may not be able to find them. I'm canvasing Oklahoma at the present time buying up all of these I can find, so if you're interested, pm me and I'll let you know what I come up with :D

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great setup.
I really love your love for the tarantulas Socrates, I truly wish my mother shared the same interest.
How is it going with your robustum plans?

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh WOW, thank you all so very, very much. :eek:

Immortal_Sin, I'm sorry you had a death yesterday. That had to have been hard, REALLY hard, especially if the T was with you numerous years.

Overmenneske, you asked about my plans with the M. Robostum... :D I am definitely still planning on adding one of those to my small collection because I am completely smitten by them. All in due time.

Now that I know for sure my B. Smithi & my A. Geniculata are both males ( :( ), I will have to part with them much sooner than I had hoped, so when that times comes (at the very latest) I will persue a M. Robustum, but hopefully much sooner than that. It's still a matter of "convincing" my hubby how great Ts are. Hubby took one BIG step in the right direction the other day, when he fed my Avic a cricket that was dangling on the forceps. I will NEVER forget the face he made when "Blue" pounced on the cricket, and he of course felt the impact on the forceps. :D

Again, thank you all very much for your positive and kind replies.

---
Wendy
---

KidMunti

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Those are comfy looking enclosures. I'm gonna make one. Guys, how much time and effort it takes to make one of those. This is my avic, in a crappy cage. Chalmer

Attachments

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you SO much Diane...but YOU still have the most astounding, most beautiful, gorgeous T enclosures I have EVER seen. Your designs are truly inspiring!
Thanks Wendy! They don't stay all nice and pretty though. The T's usually redecorate, moving dirt and moss around the way they like it so most of them are not as appealing(at least to human eyes :D )

Scylla

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is beautiful!! Great job! You can use it as a centerpiece and see if anyone notices what's inside! {D

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You did a wonderfull job Wendy! Wish my husband would be interested enough to try and feed one of my tarantulas. I found out that he does sit and watch my geniculata while he checks his sugar. He asked me why I had taken a bunch of the the leaves out of her tank cause he liked watching her search around lifting stuff hunting for food. So I quickly put the artificial leaves back in there. You girls are amazing with your florist like decorating ideas. When my avic and P. regalis get larger I would like to set a tank up like this where everyone can see them, adding to the decor of the room.

Sharon

lta3398

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, Wendy, that is tooo cool! I was gonna post a thread asking where I can purchase a habitat for my avic like that cuz I cannot find any down here, either. You have exactly what I wanted! I feel really bad cuz Kane isn't in a habitat that allows him to climb very much, but darn, I cannot find anything! I guess I can always try heading down to Miami & Ft. Lauderdale, unless someone else can help?