Held my 1st ever tarantula !!!!!! T. Blondi :D

Runaway987

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow my heart was pounding, you see i always used to be frightened of the medium sized house spiders but had an abstract fascination with Tarantulas, so i finally got this Theraphosa Blondi, i thought i have been scared of these since dot but i have to at least try and get to know it a little.

I gently edged him onto my hand with a thermometer, he was so soft, like velvet and had gentle hooks that caught ever so slightly on my palm.

He felt me out a bit, gently wandered around got a few poor pictures and put him back in his tank.

Certainly a nerve wracking experience for me first time i have ever dared to "hold" a spider of 2cm :D

Its butt is really fat after its amphibious meal yesterday :D

Attachments

Runaway987

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cheers, Feels like when i first got on a superbike

"wow-that was scary- that was good :D"

Runaway987

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No itching at all ... Oh hang on, the psychological thing has kicked in now u bugger {D

jayco_heat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
manville said:
great tarantula to start off handling!
Oh realy??? I thought the T. blondi was one of the meanies. I have a Semmanni and I held him once, for abou 3 second as i set him on the ground while I cleaned his inclosure. Brave man you are runaway :eek:

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah the T. Blondi from what i have heard they can be somne hair kicking meanies from what i have seen in a few posts their hair is pretty bad...but nice looking T!
"I Dare you to hold it when it's full grown at 10+ inches..." lol

klandagi

Arachnopeon
Wow what a fat good looking Blondi! :) Glad you're experience was good. My Blondi is bigger than yours by an inch or so but funnily enough is the most handle-able out of all of my Ts. I'd love to see the enclosure you've got him in and a description of everything you use in the setup and what/how much you feed him! That'd be very helpful ^__^

~Lor

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I haven't attempted to hold my blondi yet. He is around 3" and very fast and shy. You may want to re-think handling him when he gets bigger. I met someone a few weeks ago who got bit by his escaped full grown blondi. Besides the puncture wounds his hand swelled up huge for 3 days and hurt like crazy. Apparently the spider ran out of the tank while he was trying to feed it, and he stumbled upon it when going to sleep and it nailed him. He also had a bunch of teeth marks from a 17 foot snake he had who bit him soon after that. {D Obviously he isn't doing something right! So far I have only handled my rosehairs and my avic avic, the others are too fast or defensive. Lucky bastard :D

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
"I Dare you to hold it when it's full grown at 10+ inches..." lol
Ok, how's this?

It's really not a big deal. They are not as defensive as people make them out to be.

Last edited:

Runaway987

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It was absolutely fine, not one time did it go into defense mode or kick hairs at me. I dont understand it when people get arsey about newbs keeping supposedly "hard" species.

I might be a newb but i possess intelligence i fell in love with the BLondi after seeing Jake's video of him feeding it a mouse.

About 3 weeks of researching and reading up on the blondi has given me a lot of knowledge in their keeping requirements.

I dont get it... If people want a Blondi and think they need " At least 3 years experience in keeping spiders" then they are daft, just educate yourself about it then buy it instead of fearing it as a bad ass...

You all go on about how every species acts differently and so do the individuals, so that makes experience even less necessary...

Dont want this to come across as a rant or anything, but i have had a few snotty Pms from Stuck up people implying i have no right to have a Blondi because they dont dare keep one for another 2 years... Thats your problem mate/s my spider is healthy and happy ;P

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Try picking up a blindi like this

The male is about 9 1/2 to 10 inches

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Runaway987 said:
Dont want this to come across as a rant or anything, but i have had a few snotty Pms from Stuck up people implying i have no right to have a Blondi because they dont dare keep one for another 2 years... Thats your problem mate/s my spider is healthy and happy ;P
I think you make good points. I find the blondi easy to care for after finding what worked for him best. I think many people think it's hard (as I did till recently) because everything tells you to keep it very very humid and wet for them. Alls that gave me were mite problems and stressed my T. Now I use straight pete, with several pieces of cork bark that resemble a hole in a stump and a large flat water dish. Spray 1 time per week very little. He seems much more relaxed and never once kicked hairs, and doesn't hang over his bowl like he's dying of thirst. I do respect his speed and the size of his fangs for a little T. If I did try to handle mine I would probably only get bitten from jerking my arm or something because he darts around.

& Don't listen to those corn holes runaway. Who are they to tell you what to do. ;P If not fear, than inflated fear based prices are what's keeping these schlubs away from animals they may or may not actually like. No need to curse or anything, just tell them to eaty plenty of nuts, they're full of protein, and salty ones are the best, although beer nuts do come in as a close second :D

Last edited:

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Runaway987 said:
It was absolutely fine, not one time did it go into defense mode or kick hairs at me. I dont understand it when people get arsey about newbs keeping supposedly "hard" species.

I might be a newb but i possess intelligence i fell in love with the BLondi after seeing Jake's video of him feeding it a mouse.

About 3 weeks of researching and reading up on the blondi has given me a lot of knowledge in their keeping requirements.

I dont get it... If people want a Blondi and think they need " At least 3 years experience in keeping spiders" then they are daft, just educate yourself about it then buy it instead of fearing it as a bad ass...

You all go on about how every species acts differently and so do the individuals, so that makes experience even less necessary...

*best Jack Sparrow voice here* I be curious matey how many of these "Experts" be having the T.blondi and for how long and for how long anyother such beastys before they be telling the chant aboot them too ye.. ayi ;).

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
G_Wright said:
Try picking up a blindi like this
Seeing that picture just ran chills down my spine. But then again, I handle ALL of mine like that ALL the time. NOT. :D I'd have to be in diapers and still wouldn't attempt it with either one of them....I'm just a big chicken, I guess.

Those were great pics you guys posted handling your Blondis! I loved them.

I handled my second T today - I am SO proud, drummerolls please.....it was my Avic. Avic. (no laughter either now, and no giggles) I transferred him to his new enclosure. It was AWESOME. My hubby was watching me and asked me: "Why are you shaking like a leaf?" :D Gees, I don't know, adrenaline rush, I'm sure. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

---
Wendy
---

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well glad to see they are handleable. in my limited expirence i have found that spiders have diff personalites, much like people do. My avics who are supposedly handleable get really skittish when they come out, my A. Semanni just sits there like a rock til i put him back in (maybe he is scared) my baby versicolor runs all over my hands, arms etc... and my rosie i got yesterday seems to be just happy to be out nothing seems to bother that T. my avics seem to be "ornary" when they come out like a "why you bothering me" attitude, my girl friend even got a threat pose from the smaller of the two i have.
@runaway you're right about not needing "time in the hobby" before getting certian T's if you want it get it. just know how to take care of it...

to everyone even peoples dogs they have had for 10 years bite their owners. T's arent any different, they may be great for years and you may never get bit, but they ARE WILD CREAURES, captive bred or not.

i'm not ranting here so dont think that...if someone wants a Blondi or a cobalt for a first T let them get it, if they get bit then the will learn something. if they dont then they will learn something, perhaps even something the rest of us dont know about T's.

you can only learn from expirence....