eating wire.

jayco_heat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well last night while my Semmanni, was moving around his new inclosure. ( ya know, walking around trying to get comfortable) He's in a 10 gallon with a thin screen covering. I noticed that as he climed to the top, and scaled across the screen. He poked his fangs through the tiny screen openings. Is this normal? I've heard that they use ther fangs to climb, but that is realy rare for them to do so. He did this only a few times and them climbed back down. Any idea what he was doing?

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I ahve idea why they do it but I have a friend that had a 10-11" T.blondi that almost chewed a hole in a screen top

grammostola1953

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Probably just exploring, most do so in a new set-up, & then they calm down in a few days to a week.
What size is he & how deep is the substrate? Deeper is better, IMO, to avoid danger from a fall.
I keep many terrestrials in low-cut tanks, as had a re-occuring problem with a G. rosea & A. muscalosa, found them hanging from the screen & had to gently dislodge fangs, as well as legs. Not an issue in the reptile ranches etc. Just my personal opinion, tho... ;)

jayco_heat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
grammostola1953 said:
Probably just exploring, most do so in a new set-up, & then they calm down in a few days to a week.
What size is he & how deep is the substrate? Deeper is better, IMO, to avoid danger from a fall.
I keep many terrestrials in low-cut tanks, as had a re-occuring problem with a G. rosea & A. muscalosa, found them hanging from the screen & had to gently dislodge fangs, as well as legs. Not an issue in the reptile ranches etc. Just my personal opinion, tho... ;)
He's about 4 inches. I have him in a 10 gal. With about 9 inches of peat and rock mix.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have lots of Ts that do this often. I think they know that is the way out and they are attempting to chew thru the screen. Ts also use their fangs for digging. My L.parahybana has popped a hole or two is his sceen, not big enough to get out. But I still have to replace the screen. I'm thinking I might have to go with plexiglass when she's an adult.

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have talked to Rick West about this issue and he says it means the T doesn't like its current enclosure. Meaning something like, the dirt is too wet/dry, the enclosure is too small/big. But don't ask me what it wants as I have no clue. Try changing some things to make the enclosure to its liking. I am sure you know what's best for your T.

Good luck

grammostola1953

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
jayco_heat said:
He's about 4 inches. I have him in a 10 gal. With about 9 inches of peat and rock mix.

Sounds like a perfect set-up. Is the substrate damp? Sometimes this makes them "wander" for awhile, & will settle down in a few days when its's drier.

Zach33

Arachnopeon
you can get a sheet of plexiglass from home depot or lowes for 3-5 dollars. Cut it to fit and drill some holes, then you won't ever have to worry about it again.

jayco_heat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
grammostola1953 said:
Sounds like a perfect set-up. Is the substrate damp? Sometimes this makes them "wander" for awhile, & will settle down in a few days when its's drier.
Yeah, I gave it a little mist when I set it up, to help keep the top packed down a bit. He should be fine, he's roaming on the subtrate now. Funny thing, he's never kicked hairs or gave a threat pose untill today, when I tried to pet him. Didnt catch any hairs as he did this before my hand actually reached him, and he was facing me. But he went rite into his threat pose after that. I guess he's a lil highstrung from being moved.

grammostola1953

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have 2 female seemanni, and have found them both to be less tolerant of my presence in their space, than some other species. :eek:

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my h.lividum trys to chew his way out every now and then, i think that is normal, just keep a close eye