A. Semanniacting strange

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have seen the threadfs on water dish dumping. but the A. Semanni i have is acting very strange. I have yet to catch it in the act but i can tell from the surrounding substrate it is doing something to the water dish. Every morning i check my T's to say hello and what not. when i get to the semmanni all i see is wet substrate around the water dish and the dish is bone dry. are they messy drinkers? or is Mr. Semmanni just not happy. couple this with the fact that in 3 weeks i have yet to see the guy come out of the burrow i have for him. He eats i have seen it happen (3 crix today.) and the T appears comfy. I have seen no webbing or digging around but the water dish thing is weird.

grammostola1953

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you check closely, you may see some fine webbing on/around the water dish that can "channel" the dish to bone dry. :?
Or, when you're not looking, s/he scurries over, dumps it & chuckles all the way back to the hidey! {D

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
that would be funny hahaha..my seemani does that too all the time so dont worry..

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
no webbing anywhere in the cage, and in 3 weeks Mr. Semmanni has not left the cage. the water dish is never overturned just empty. but soaked into the substrate... :?

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
is there a hole in your dish? is the surrounding substrate wet or is it just wet beneath the dish?

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you are using peatmoss for substrate and there is a tiny peice in the water it acts like a wick and will draw it out over night everytime...make sure the substrate is packed down around the edges of the water dish and none is in the water..

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If the dish is still in the same position and hasn't been filled with substrate I really would suspect that there's a filament of substrate or web syphoning it dry over night.

My seemani's first priority was to completely bury it's water dish. You might want to try offering a water dish as an occasional but regular overnight deal.

Last edited:

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
dish is still in same spot NO WEBBING. i am using regular topsoil and the only wet place in the tank is the area near the dish. no theres not a hole in it either. i cant figure it out...

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
its one of those look alike rock things, real shallow but wide.

Keith Richard

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
its one of those look alike rock things, real shallow but wide.
I think that those things are porous beyond the paint line (which usually isn't that deep. Just a thought.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
UPDATE>..
not the big guy is walking all around his enclosure, but oddly he keeps bumping into the sides...and i think its because i moved his watrer dish so the underneath would dry out a bit (mold prevention) he has not gone in his hide all day...this is only weird because i havent seen him come out since i bought him, about 3 weeks ago.