help with an eggsack

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just received a female Tigerump with an eggsack, the owner told me he found it under her rock , it hasn`t been closen yet.Basically a blanket of web with a <butt> load of eggs in the middle of it. i think he might have disturbed her in the middle of the process. He romoved it (not knowing any better)pretty carefully with the dirt it was on. I`m gonna place it back under the rock and hope she finishes what she was doing. any opinions? please!

Thanx,
Mat

I`m not very experienced with any T eggsacks, but familliar with inverts in general.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
chau0046 said:
I just received a female Tigerump with an eggsack, the owner told me he found it under her rock , it hasn`t been closen yet.Basically a blanket of web with a <butt> load of eggs in the middle of it. i think he might have disturbed her in the middle of the process. He romoved it (not knowing any better)pretty carefully with the dirt it was on. I`m gonna place it back under the rock and hope she finishes what she was doing. any opinions? please!
Dear Mat:

Disturbing a tarantula while making (or incubating) an eggsac can disrupt the whole process, and exposed eggs sitting on a mat of silk are not likely to remain viable for long. I am afraid not much is likely to come of this eggsac. It wouldn't hurt to give it back to the spider and see if she picks up where she lets off, but if she doesn't get to work again with a few hours I think I'd make an effort to roll up the eggsac myself and incubate it via the hammock method (described in a sticky message above, I believe). I wouldn't bet on anything coming of it, but you lose nothing but a little effort by trying. Good luck and let us know what happens. I'd be interested to hear if the tarantula will take possession of her eggsac again after being disturbed at this stage in the proceedings.

Joy

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well she took right back where she left off and is now carrying it around. I read a bunch about eggs with legs, i didnt notice any legs ,just little orange-yellow eggs . or is the just when they come out of the sack. Also how long does it take for them to break out of there eggsack?

Thankx greatly for your help!

Mat

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
wow...that's interesting! I hope you get some babies..
Most of us leave the sac with the mom for at LEAST 30 days...it take that long, or longer to start getting 'eggs with legs' depending on the species. Once past the 30 days, it's not so crucial to turn the sac consistantly...IME.
If you leave the sac too long with mom, and they molt into 2nd instar, they will be dispersing all over your house, like what happened to me, on my first sac ;)

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Immortal_sin said:
If you leave the sac too long with mom, and they molt into 2nd instar, they will be dispersing all over your house, like what happened to me, on my first sac ;)
What was the species I wonder? And did you find any of them when they were grown up?

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
chau0046 said:
Well she took right back where she left off and is now carrying it around. I read a bunch about eggs with legs, i didnt notice any legs ,just little orange-yellow eggs . or is the just when they come out of the sack. Also how long does it take for them to break out of there eggsack?

Thankx greatly for your help!

Mat
That's wonderful news! If she has reclaimed it, then perhaps there is still hope you may get some spiderlings.

It took almost exactly 3 months from the time my C. fasciatum made her eggsac (8/21/03) till the time the offspring emerged as 2nd instars (11/23/03). Incubation time is dependent on temperature among other things, however. I kept mine rather cool (around 70 degrees F), so your results may vary depending on that and other factors.

Good luck!

Joy