Just got a B. smithi... now what?

thatgengirl

Arachnopeon
I recently purchased a juvenile red-knee, but it's still too young to sex. I can't find anything about how long the males live, anyone know?

Also, any special tips or tricks for this epcies?

We feed him about 4 or 5 pinheads every 3 days, and he gobbles them down in short time. He looks about to burst, but my guide says there is no such thing as over-feeding a juvey. Any other bugs make for a better diet?

When you're misting, where do you mist, and how wet do you get it? I have bed-a-beast for his substrate, and a coconut shell for hiding in.

I got a young one hoping it can grow used to handling as it matures. Is this even reasonable?

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
you could try small roaches
make sure you clean the remains out, the bed-a-beast and crix remains isnt a good mix
males live, 5 years? no where close to the female
no need to mist, just keep a water bowl in the tank
my smithi's have different personalities, one is calm and the other is a hair kicker
tips? - be patient, slow growers like many mexican species

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thatgengirl said:
I recently purchased a juvenile red-knee, but it's still too young to sex. I can't find anything about how long the males live, anyone know?

Also, any special tips or tricks for this epcies?

We feed him about 4 or 5 pinheads every 3 days, and he gobbles them down in short time. He looks about to burst, but my guide says there is no such thing as over-feeding a juvey. Any other bugs make for a better diet?

When you're misting, where do you mist, and how wet do you get it? I have bed-a-beast for his substrate, and a coconut shell for hiding in.

I got a young one hoping it can grow used to handling as it matures. Is this even reasonable?
OK let see if I can help a little. First off when you say juvenile are you say it is around 2"-3"? If so pinheads are way to small it should be able to take down a full size cricket with no problem. As for over feeding, that is questionable as I have heard of B. albopilosum popping because of over eating, has never happened to me but has to a friend of mine and he is a very respected name in the hobby so I have no reason to doubt what he said. No special care is needed for smithis they are a desert species and like it very dry, I very rarely mist my smithis just make sure you keep the water dish full and last off as for handling, they are a pretty docile T but they do like to kick hairs and for me personally there hairs bug me more than any other T I have held SO? Good luck. Greg