A few new Pokies

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Someone sold their collection to a local pet store and I picked a few up.

First up is a P. miranda that I sexed as male. Only paid $110 for this guy since they didn't really know what it was, but knew it was supposed to be rare:

Attachments

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Last is an adult female P. formosa. She's about 7 inches. Pretty big considering I was always told these were the smaller of the pokies. I paid only $70 for this beauty. :)

Attachments

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Score! Why can;t I ever find deals like that? :?

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah, I jumped on them as soon as I saw them and saw that they were mostly females.

I don't think they had any idea how big the formosa was since she was all curled up underneath her cork bark and had such a small abdomen like she just molted or hadn't eaten in a long time. I must say I quite surprised when she came out to eat a superworm and saw how big she was. :)

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Brian S said:
Those are some real nice pokies you have there.
Thanks Brian. I'm thinking about trading in the miranda for their other female formosa, since the miranda is a male. But, I got a pretty good deal on him, so I'm not sure.

Jim B.

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would definitely trade it if i were you..very nice pokies! you got a great deal

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Cooper said:
ship him out for 50/50!
I was considering that, but being such a rare poke there's supposedly only 2 or so bloodlines going around which makes it vital to know when and where it was originally purchased. I already called the store and they don't have any contact information on the previous owner for me to track it down.

Andrew vV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
While it's definetly not VITAL.....I respect your principles palespider ;)

Phalagorn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Palespider said:
I was considering that, but being such a rare poke there's supposedly only 2 or so bloodlines going around which makes it vital to know when and where it was originally purchased. I already called the store and they don't have any contact information on the previous owner for me to track it down.
I´l got 5 sub-adult P. miranda females (4 diffrent bloodlines) {D
Can I loan him later for 50/50 breeding? :}

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Palespider said:
It's vital that you know the bloodline and prevent the possibility of inbreeding them.
Really?? Who has done in depth studies on this? ;)

A few months ago I saw a 3rd generation inbred Poecilotheria regalis mature male - over 7 inches legspan and more than up to the job. All rufilata, irminia, parahybana, geniculata are "inbred" too....

Sorry to digress. :) I would suggest sending the male to Europe if you can't find a female in the USA rather than let him go to waste.

RichardDegville

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All rufilata, irminia, parahybana, geniculata are "inbred" too
Hiya Leon hows you mate? I have to dissagree with that myth we have no proof to the latter thats just speculation I can imagine when all these sp were an "it" there were more than just a couple being smuggled in ;) look at pokie metallica mirnada etc etc etc wheres theres money mate theres always a way of getting what people want I have no dought that most of these sp were inbred to a degree off the first imports but somewhere new blood has been introduced stands to reason if a dealer hobbyist etc sees a price tag and has access legal or not they will bring them in its human nature. :mad:

im sure Rick C west did a studie on inbreeding I dont know the details but im sure if he has some one will?

Last edited:

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
RichardDegville said:
Hiya Leon hows you mate? I have to dissagree with that myth we have no proof to the latter thats just speculation I can imagine when all these sp were an "it" there were more than just a couple being smuggled in ;) look at pokie metallica mirnada etc etc etc wheres theres money mate theres always a way of getting what people want I have no dought that most of these sp were inbred to a degree off the first imports but somewhere new blood has been introduced stands to reason if a dealer hobbyist etc sees a price tag and has access legal or not they will bring them in its human nature. :mad:

im sure Rick C west did a studie on inbreeding I dont know the details but im sure if he has some one will?
Out of intrest.do you have proof that what leon said is not true?Why does it stand to reason that new blood has been introduced? Ok you say you don´t know the details of the studie done by Rick West so I doubt if you can answer the next questions!But just incase you can.
How many species did he studie for this?
How many generations did he breed?
Did the same defects appear on resulting young after every X amount of generations?
Could any of the defects have been put down to anything else?

Now Im not saying that inbreeding doesn´t effect tarantulas but Im also not saying that it does!
This link makes intresting reading (well I think so anyway).
Inbreeding thread

Even though it asked more questions than it answers I think it does go to show that there are no clear cut answers to the question of inbreeding.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
RichardDegville said:
Hiya Leon hows you mate?
Crap actually, I've got a chest infection. :(

RichardDegville said:
I have to dissagree with that myth we have no proof to the latter thats just speculation I can imagine when all these sp were an "it" there were more than just a couple being smuggled in ;)
You have to admit it's just as much speculation that more were brought in ;)

RichardDegville said:
He did, over 2 generations if memory serves - but I can't remember the species (A Holothele sp. maybe?)

<Edited>

Palespider, sorry we're droning on, if you want us to shut up then please by all means say so :D

Last edited by a moderator: