H. Mac climbing problems

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Lastnight i found my H. mac struggling to climb tthe glass of the tank, he spent 3hrs moving forward an inch then sliding down two. Is there something wrong with her or is she just to fat? :?

I know I know, barkmulch is to rough for a T. But its arboreal, and its just there to keep humidity up.

Last edited:

CIRE

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How long has it been in that enclosure with that type of substrate?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Have you tried putting some cork or other type of bark in the enclosure for it to climb?

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The abdomen was like that when I purchased her,she's been on that substrate for approximatly 1.5 months. She spends little or no time on it, most of the time she's in her hide which is fake cactus that is siliconed to the side of the tank.
Sorry about the water on the take I just misted.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I'd say toss out that mister first of all. All that moisture is bound to attract and breed parasites, which could make your T VERY anxious to get out of the enclosure! Let that tank dry out and put some softer substrate on the bottom. The bark is very uncomfortable on the underside of a soft opisthoma, that could be another reason she's trying to get out. How long has she been that fat? Did you buy her WC? It COULD be an egg sac on the way, pre-molt or parasites.

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Even if I mist the tank is bone dry in less than an hour. my bed room has a very dry heat about it

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not only is that bark rough on the ventral side of the abdomen when your T is merely walking on it, the fact that your T is having trouble sticking to the tank is a recipe for disaster. As fat as that T is, I would really hate to see it take a spill with nothing but bark to land on. (Any idea what type of bark that is by the way?)
As far as your T having trouble climbing, try to get a look at the scopulae to see if there seems to be any wear or damage. That's the first thing I'd look at anyhow.

Atrax

UberUsumbara

Arachnopeon
what is it with everyone getting all over misting? I keep my spiders (all high humidity lovers, except my usumbara) pretty humid and I have never had a problem with mold or anything just as long as you keep it clean. I usually soak the substrate well every couple of weeks but there is almost always a little condensation in the tank. At least I know they'll never have problems molting!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
UberUsumbara said:
what is it with everyone getting all over misting? I keep my spiders (all high humidity lovers, except my usumbara) pretty humid and I have never had a problem with mold or anything just as long as you keep it clean. I usually soak the substrate well every couple of weeks but there is almost always a little condensation in the tank. At least I know they'll never have problems molting!
It's misting vs. dry, Mac vs. PC, Chevy vs. Ford.... you know the drill! I've had more problems with wet tanks than I could possibly list! Worst of all, the dreaded NEMATOES! ;P (I hate you little buggers!!!!!) I've had too many Ts die from over humid conditions. Now that everyone is dry, even my horrid phorid flies are gone! {D

It's completely a matter of personal preference. If you have success with humid tanks, GREAT!!! Keep on misting, I say!! I'm not putting down misting, just inserting MY experience... and I like 'em on the dry side... like my martinis! :D

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
UberUsumbara said:
1) alot of people who mist hit their spider while doing so [very stressfull]
2)Misting is normaly a very temperary humidity solution for high humid needing t's [it drys very quickly]
3)alot of people are lazy/its hard to make sure all the poop/food bolous's [spelling] are out which attracks mites and other such problems
4) alot of the substrates we use will mold eventualy unless preventitive steps have been taken [most of which arnt inforced]
So thats alot of cons agenst misting.
If you think you areh aving trouble with high humidity. Take out all the substrate and add a layer of gold fish gravel r something akin to it. Then place a few inches of soil/peatmoss [perferred substrate of your choice] ontop of that with a tube of some sort going down the corner into the gravel [make sure your t wont get down it by placing a piece of mesh over the opening or make sure its a small tube] you now have a good way to keep humid up. when its dry poor water down the tube and into its water dish. The soil will absorb the water and any excess will lay down in the bottum with the gravel.

As far the not climbing problem Mine lost the abillity to web And climb for about 3 weeks prior to a much needed molt.

Also if you are having troubles with phorrid fly's, mold. or excess food item corpses/left overs throw in a live plant and or alot of woodlice [opillbugs rolliepollies whatever lol] They doo great wonders for my high humid tanks and I never have to clean the tanks unless I want to wipe down the sides..

Last edited:

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm an avid user of sowbugs myself and I use them in almost all my tanks, I also have a colony of them in a margerine container

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
do you have to remove the pillbugs prior to a molt? :? can they harm the T? thanks i am thinking of adding them to my tanks and i want to know if there is a down side to thier co-habitation :confused:

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sowbugs won't harm your T at all. My large T usually ignore them while my slings make them a tasty snack