Bark mulch, whats the big deal?

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know everyone has a problem with bark mulch, but don't arboreal Ts live in trees. Last time I checked trees were covered with bark.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The main problem revolves around the terpenoids that may be present depending on the type of wood(fir and cedar come to mind). Its less of a problem with aged and well composted wood/bark chips. Terpenoids are harmful to invertebrates and can effect them in a variety of ways. Some people experience zero problems and others are just cautious and avoid it as a rule of thumb. The other issues just revolve around the normal substrate qualms... Too rough, too hard, harbors pests, grows molds and fungi.

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've herd somewhere that fir doesn't have the harmful terpenoids that cedar or pine has

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i use bark mulchin my Avic.Avic setup. I also have quite a bit of regular topsoil on it so it's kinda mixed the ventilation from the bark mulch below and the air above has mad for no mold in 3 mos...

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I may be incorrect but it was my understanding that all conifer woods contain terpenoids.