Aphonopelma seemanni rescue

Spydra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I went to the new pet store that opened up for some crickets, and only crickets, found a wee little guy about 1" listed as "stripe knee" for $9.99, he/she was in such a horrible state...going into "death curl" the legs are very tucked under and he/she looks really dehydrated..I told the cashier that I wanted to buy the tarantula. She had a guy come over to get him/her out and boy was he/she pissed! He tried to nudge him/her onto a piece of cardboard with a pen and it went into major threat mode and struck at the pen. The guy was really freaked to say the least..

Anyways, I told him that this tarantula is dying and is very dehydrated, he didnt have a clue to say the least...so I bought him/her brought it home, have it in ICU and Im crossing my fingers for the best. This is the first time I have actually seen the "deal curl", but from reading stuff on the boards, I knew this had to be it. The legs are so tucked and bent really sad, and poor bugger is very dull. I went to take pictures, and of course my camera battery died, so I am waiting for it to recharge at least enough to take a picture.

Renee

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
Go Renee!!!! I hope he will be ok...

Just curious, where did the new pet store open? Is it in Delhi?

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
You know, of course, the pet shop will be so encouraged by the sale, it will go order three more Ts to replace that one... :(

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
spider goddess, thats prolly true sad for the T's but if they get there soon enough ..a good deal may present itself

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
spidergoddess said:
You know, of course, the pet shop will be so encouraged by the sale, it will go order three more Ts to replace that one... :(
One would hope that they would take advice from thier customers, and learn from thier mistakes. It would be nice if they could swallow thier pride and just take better care of them. It would be good for everyone all petstores did this.

People don't go into pet stores and say something is in horrible condtions just for the fun of it. I'd reccomend finding a care sheet and having a polite conversation with the manager if you truly care. :p

B.Munch

Arachnopeon
i hate the way pet stores treat tarantulas. just because they are afraid of it it doesnt deserve basic survival needs. you know if they mis treated a mouse like that all hell would break loose. i went to a new pet store today and gave into temptation. i bought my first G.rosea 2 weeks ago, and i am hooked on them like crack. i went to the pet store for crickets telling myself not to look at the tarantulas, but i did so anyway. they had a G.rosea and a A.seemanni spiderling for $6.00 and $8.00. i bought them. what made me happy was there was a guy named john that worked there, and knew what he was doing. there was a cobalt blue and a pink toe spiderling there also, but i didnt have the cash. each had a proper sized pet pals cage, pot soil/vermiculite substrate, hiding spot,water dish, and a very clean cage. i was so surprised how good they had it compared to this other pet store by me that should be burned. im hoping the G.rosea is the opposite sex as my other one. the one i bought 2 weeks ago should be coming up on its mature moult so im hoping. and my A.seemanni is living up to the bull dozer reputation. anyway im praying for your abused tarantula. i hope it will be okay. i would try to find out what organization sets the standards for animal care in pet shops. and see if theres anything they could do

Spydra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The Red Queen said:
Go Renee!!!! I hope he will be ok...

Just curious, where did the new pet store open? Is it in Delhi?
It opened up over in Western Hills area, actually the other terrarium that the G. rosea was in was awesome, not sure why this little guy got the raw end of the deal. Here is the latest, I went ahead and put him in a new home and gave him lots of water, pushed him over to the water and he drank the entire lid full, this morning he has perked up some, but is in the little hide. So, it was very apparent he was majorly dehydrated.

Renee

Pictures to come!!!

Spydra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
spidergoddess said:
Im sure you are right about that, I did tell the guy in a very nice way, that the poor little guy was in bad shape, and NOT to put that darn sponge in there. He was very nice and hopefully will take the advice. If not, I will just have to keep drilling it into their tiny brains.

Renee

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sad as it is to say, i try not to even look at the T's in petshops i know do not specialize in knowlegable exotic care. i try to purchase exclusively from breeders/shows and avoid pity cases. the final straw for me was purchasing a dying animal who i wasted $10 bucks trying to save and had him DOA by the time i got home. :( good luck, but understand that sometimes it is too late. don't be afraid to report animal neglect either. they can't speak up for themselves.

kristin

Spydra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Kristin Cullen said:
sad as it is to say, i try not to even look at the T's in petshops i know do not specialize in knowlegable exotic care. i try to purchase exclusively from breeders/shows and avoid pity cases. the final straw for me was purchasing a dying animal who i wasted $10 bucks trying to save and had him DOA by the time i got home. :( good luck, but understand that sometimes it is too late. don't be afraid to report animal neglect either. they can't speak up for themselves.

kristin
I usually just do a walk through and go on, but something just compelled me to take this little guy home. I normally dont go over to that section, but I had to get crickets and this store has them located directly across from the tarantula & scorpions so it was hard not to look. He has actually perked up since last night after drinking alot.and I mean alot of water.

Renee

B.Munch

Arachnopeon
im glad it has gotten a little better. keep us informed on how it is doing

Spydra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Update:

This little guy has pulled through! yeah!!! And boy is he a fiesty little devil! Amanda...We need to get together, long time no see. BTW...the male rosie was on the prowl last night wanting really bad to get out, he kept clamping onto the top of the lid with his fangs and was pushing and pushing trying to get that lid off haha!!!! I should have gotten him over to my female, but it was really late and I was really tired.

Camera finally fully charged will do downloads of the before and after pics. Went back to the petstore to pick up dogfood, the guy asked how the spider was doing, I told him he was perking up really nicely & to remember NOT to use a sponge as a water source. His comment was: "I was told to use a sponge otherwise the tarantula will drown in a dish of water". I started to chuckle and told him "maybe the crickets will drown if you dont have any pebbles or something in the dish with the water, but the tarantula will not drown". SO....he said that he will start using the reptile dishes and filling them with water. We will see.

Renee

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
spidergoddess said:
Yes I saw the same thing this week in the pet store where I buy crickets. They had a $40 Haplopelma of some kind, no water, wood chips, etc. It was in a half death curl but moving. I could have bought it and saved it, but what would be the point? I should give them $40 for killing a Tarantula and making me save it? No thanks