Needing Poecilotheria ID Help

ssandgirls

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone, wondering if someone can help identify my recent acquisition,

I got this spider from the FIRE show on the weekend, and it was sold to me as an "Indian Ornamental" ( Poecilotheria regalis )

The dealer was primarily a reptile dealer and this spider doesnt match pics I have found on the internet.

Its about 4" long, and has the characteristic black and yellow threat display markings that the Poecilotheria have however her stripes and markings are duller.

Heres a pic,

Many thanks in advance,, Im wondering what I actually have?

any ideas? I dont know the sex either......

SS:)

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

ssandgirls said:
any ideas? I dont know the sex either......
it's a male!

for species ID post a photo of the underside where the markings of leg I and leg IV are visible.

all the best,
Martin

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

priZZ said:
But he is adult, right?
don't know, can't see the palps (if they have bulbs or not). From the colour it could be subadult or adult (in some Poecilotheria species already subadult males have very fuzzy markings, see e.g. this subadult P. ornata male: >>click here<<). I would tend to say that it is not adult yet, because on the photo it doesn't look very "leggy" (see e.g. these two adult P. fasciata males, which are very leggy: >>click here<<)

Cheers,
Martin

Last edited:

priZZ

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Understood!

Thx Martin, can always count on You! :D

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You definitely have a male there, however, if you want a species identification a ventral picture would help a lot as well.

Later,

Jake

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i also attended the FIRE show, and came home with a P. regalis sling which looks just like my P. fasciata. Still...for $12... :?
anyways, you have a beautiful boy there.

kristin

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi!

Check your "private messages" after you log in!

I breed tarantulas and I'm located in central Florida (Palm Bay, near Melbourne and right next to I-95). I happen to have a 7" female who molted last month. She's a prime candidate for a good breeding!!!
If you do indeed have a regalis, are you interested in doing a 50/50? Months down the road, you'd end up with dozens more!

If possible, could you send me a picture of your boy's underside?

If you need references as to my reliability, I will happily provide them.

-Garrick

eight

ssandgirls

Arachnopeon
Thankyou so much for the replies,

Here are some pics of the underside, to assist with species ID....

Thanks in advance

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mature male P. regalis you have there. Better find a girl for him before he passes away...

ssandgirls

Arachnopeon
Mature male P. regalis you have there. Better find a girl for him before he passes away...
Oh no,, passes away. :eek:

Wondering how you can tell that hes mature? Hes only 4", and Ive been looking at various sites and reading through the posts and most of the males seem to grow 6" and upwards.

Is there a way to tell that hes mature? and if so, how much longer does he have? any ideas?

Another question, how were you able to identify that its a " P Regalis" . Just curious as to what you were looking at.

Thanks again,

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We can identify it as a male by the reddish bulbs (embolus) at the end of his pedipalps, which are the shorter "legs" at the front of the spider.

As for it being a regalis Check out this link:www.poecilotheria.com/galerie_poe_underside.htm
The first legs just outside of the pedipalps and the back legs are the relevant ones. Thank T.Marklin and Martin H. for the poecilotheria identification key.
Also the lighter colored stripe across the underside of it's abdomen is found on regalis only.

Last edited:

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thats so weird i thought it was a P regalis too because i recognize its ventral part but its dorsal side does not look like any regalis i have seen. Maybe i have never seen a male. I have a regalis female btw.

Phalagorn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ssandgirls said:
Oh no,, passes away. :eek:

Wondering how you can tell that hes mature? Hes only 4", and Ive been looking at various sites and reading through the posts and most of the males seem to grow 6" and upwards.

Is there a way to tell that hes mature? and if so, how much longer does he have? any ideas?

Another question, how were you able to identify that its a " P Regalis" . Just curious as to what you were looking at.

Thanks again,

You can it´s a male of colour and form, and by his fuzzy looking.
There´s varying sizes of all males! To tell that he´s mature you can see by
palpal bulb at the end of the pedipalps
http://arachnophiliac.co.uk/burrow/gallery/taxonomic/
Yo can identify that´s a P. regalis by the bellyband under the abdomen