Set up for a WC T. Blondi and other ?'s

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
I bought a Blondi the other day, and I did not know it was a WC. I actually feel sorry for it, b/c it is at least 7". I can't tell if it is a male or female yet, but I would have a couple of pics, if there is someone I can send them to, I would REALLY appreciate it. I know that *looks* aren't the best way to sex, but some of the more experienced keepers may have a good guess :)

Anyway, this spider constantly wonders. I know it is not happy. I have it on peatmoss, and one of the long/wide critter keepers. It actually has a lot more space to crawl around on than a 10 gallon. The height is about 4-5". Also, I do have a nice large water dish in there, w/ a nice hide (cave). It has eaten twice, but I wish it would eat more, as it looks malnourished :(

I would love to have some help, Raggs, it's name, {D seems to want something more. I just don't know what it is. My other T. Blondi, I have had since it was a sling, now a nice 7-8" seems to be happy, and very relaxed. And SHE has the same kind of environment.

Do I need to have a different set up? I hate it was captured this late in its life, and forced to live in a cage, but I want it to have the perfect retirement,
since I can't make a trip to the rainforest to drop it off :p

I hope to get some help, and I would love to send the 2 pics to someone!

Thanks!
Angela

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i wouldn't worry about feeling bad for it. spiders don't have the part of the brain, that we do, which controls emotions. so it can't feel boredom like we can.

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
xBurntBytheSunx said:
i wouldn't worry about feeling bad for it. spiders don't have the part of the brain, that we do, which controls emotions. so it can't feel boredom like we can.
Well, I can't help it. I just look at them, and wonder sometimes :(

Anyone else? W/ ideas on the set up, or looking at a couple of my pics to guess sexing?

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Most critters, especially WC, need anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to "get used to" (again, they don't have the brain capacity to make this the proper term... "aclimate to" is much better) their new surroundings. Give it a few weeks and see what's happening....

crash769

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
He he my dogs name is raggs {D Have you ever heard the song my dog Raggs and he walks zig zag? Its a cute song. hehe

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
crash769 said:
He he my dogs name is raggs {D Have you ever heard the song my dog Raggs and he walks zig zag? Its a cute song. hehe

LOL!

That is crazy! I named it Raggs b/c the way the setae was worn off its legs, and b/c I had to surgically remove the right rear tarsus. It just looks like it came off the street {D

The name seemed fitting, and cute :D

klandagi

Arachnopeon
xBurntBytheSunx said:
While I agree that the tarantula doesn't have a brain like humans do, I disagree on the comment that they cannot feel or be bored. I know mine do. I guess we'll just agree to disagree on that one as I cannot physically prove it to you.

~Klandagi

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they don't have the capacity to create emotions. though they are living creatures so i'm sure they must experience things in their own way.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You could host the images at photobucket.com. It's free and it's not much of a hassel at all. It works fast and once your account is set up, you can have tons of images in a gallery and link to it all you want. I've been using it for a while, that way everyone can see your T pics when you have questions or just want to show off. :)

klandagi

Arachnopeon
xBurntBytheSunx said:
they don't have the capacity to create emotions.
Again, I'll just say we'll agree to disagree. I know what your saying in the way of the scientific and physical sense, yet I am not referring to that. What I'm talking about delves into a realm where things cannot be proven or disproven. Its just a personal belief I hold.

~Lor

Last edited:

Sequin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
klandagi said:
Again, I'll just say we'll agree to disagree. I know what your saying in the way of the scientific and physical sense, yet I am not referring to that. What I'm talking about delves into a realm where things cannot be proven or disproven. Its just a personal belief I hold.

~Lor
i totally agree.... my t's hold grudges lol, i think they are smarter than people make hem out to be...

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
~AnimalQueen~ said:
i totally agree.... my t's hold grudges lol, i think they are smarter than people make hem out to be...
I'll have to chime in here as well...logic tells me they can't hold emotions or bear grudges. However, Jennifer, my big 10 inch plus female KNOWS the paint brush I use to nudge her around for cage maintenance and promptly rushes after it when it enters her realm! {D I think they may have alot more going on in their little brains than we give them credit for!

As to your original question Angela...give it another couple of weeks and see if that does'nt help matters. And if you want, send me your pics and I'll take a look at them for you!

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
WayneT said:
I'll have to chime in here as well...logic tells me they can't hold emotions or bear grudges. However, Jennifer, my big 10 inch plus female KNOWS the paint brush I use to nudge her around for cage maintenance and promptly rushes after it when it enters her realm! {D I think they may have alot more going on in their little brains than we give them credit for!

As to your original question Angela...give it another couple of weeks and see if that does'nt help matters. And if you want, send me your pics and I'll take a look at them for you!
Wayne, I sent you a PM :)

Thanks for your help!

And yes, my T's all have attitudes, and they know what the camel brush means-"MOVE!" lol It is a hated item, and means getting out of their comfty spots!

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Angela,
I noticed your T. Blondi message and wanted to comment. Your wild caught Blondi may be exploring (his) perimeter and will settle down after a week or two. If your goliath is a male he will be wandering around quite a bit. Males are thinner and much more active than females. You can send me photos to Gipinkfoot@aol.com.
Greg Wolfe/Indiana Exotics

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Greg Wolfe said:
Hi Angela,
I noticed your T. Blondi message and wanted to comment. Your wild caught Blondi may be exploring (his) perimeter and will settle down after a week or two. If your goliath is a male he will be wandering around quite a bit. Males are thinner and much more active than females. You can send me photos to Gipinkfoot@aol.com.
Greg Wolfe/Indiana Exotics
That sounds good! I will email you the 2 pics I have. It has no bulbs at all,
and I know Blondis don't have spurs. Just let me know what you think. The seller *claimed/thought* it to be female.

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
After seeing the pics...I'm pretty sure you have a lady...gettin' ready to molt.

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
WayneT said:
After seeing the pics...I'm pretty sure you have a lady...gettin' ready to molt.
But it is still eating! It ate a huge white mouse the other day. This is not the one that was bitten :eek:

But the legs do look dark underneath...maybe that is the new setae forming?
I really would love to see it turn out to be a female :)

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Tarangela said:
But it is still eating! It ate a huge white mouse the other day. This is not the one that was bitten :eek:

But the legs do look dark underneath...maybe that is the new setae forming?
I really would love to see it turn out to be a female :)
Well I wish you all the luck in the world that it is! If it is fixin' to molt, it should shut down eating soon. Keep me posted! :D