Urticating hair Question

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i was fooling around with my L.parahybana's molt and i put my finger in a clump of hair and then touched my sister's arm with it. is it possible for these hairs to spread all over the body? my and my sister have a rash/hives now on out arms, hands and stomach. can itching the irritated area spread the hair via our fingers that are doing the itching?

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
chuck said:
i was fooling around with my L.parahybana's molt and i put my finger in a clump of hair and then touched my sister's arm with it. is it possible for these hairs to spread all over the body? my and my sister have a rash/hives now on out arms, hands and stomach. can itching the irritated area spread the hair via our fingers that are doing the itching?
Yep

Wash that stuff off with soap or alcohol

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
then i wonder why it hasnt spread anywhere else, my face, head, neck, legs and other areas are fine and yet i touched them (some places more than others :} )

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Some people are apparently much more sensitive to the hairs than others. I, for one, am barely bothered by them at all. I've only had very mild reactions, which including some slight itching, like I'd been handling fiberglass insulation, that lasted for less than 10-15 minutes. That is from handling moults, NOT from handling spiders themselves, and the only species which have even caused this have been B. albopilosum and G. rosea. I handled a freshly-moulted B. boheimi exuvium today with no reaction at all(just got her last night, and she moulted this morning-and it's a GIRL). I'm still careful to wash my hands with hot,soapy water after handling spiders, their moults, or cleaning enclosures, so as to avoid getting any hairs in my eyes or nose or mouth later, which I hear can be nasty! I have heard of some people having really bad reactions, though, just from brief contact with a T or its moulted skin, so different people seem to have diffferent degrees of sensitivity.

pitbulllady

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
chuck said:
Is it possible that you and your sister are allergic to each other?