When is it ok to use an artifical light?

Fullstop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm keeping my new T in my bedroom. Due to cats jumping in the window and tearing my blinds up I nailed a black sheet over the window. During the day it's vaugly lit, and at night totally dark. Would it be ok to give it a little aid to distinguish the day and night cycles?

Suggestions?

I just don't wanna confuse the little bugger. ;P

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
for daytime light you can use a florecent light because it doesnt put out heat and wont dry your t's out. For night time viewing, you can use an infrared bulb but do not leave it on for an extended period of time.

Fullstop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
8 leg wonder said:
for daytime light you can use a florecent light because it doesnt put out heat and wont dry your t's out. For night time viewing, you can use an infrared bulb but do not leave it on for an extended period of time.

inked

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
8 leg wonder said:
For night time viewing, you can use an infrared bulb but do not leave it on for an extended period of time.
just curious why you say not to leave the infrared bulb on for a long time??
are these the red coloured light bulbs? i know people that have used these as a heat source with no probs during winter..

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes they are and you don't want to leave the on for long periods of time because them will dry Your T up

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but from all I've read, tarantulas are not very fond of light, some people and/or authors go as far as saying they "abhor" light.
Since quite a few members keep their Ts in closets, I would assume that you don't need any light source(s) at all.

---
Wendy
---

scaramanga

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is it really that bad? I was going to use a UV flouresent strip (and did) until it dropped from its fixture and blew up... Ive had a 25W bulb in for months now and not had any problems... its burried underneath the substrate and housed in a large, thick half of bamboo with holes to vent the rising heat. I'll definitly be getting a heat matt the next time my Ts get too big for their enclosures but for now the light bulb i use is very effective at keeping the temperature up (as i live in the UK and it gets very cold when you are reluctant to use the central heating often) and also gives the tan a nice glow.

Fullstop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't think he likes it. I put it on there, and he was roaming about for a bit...then went into his hide for the past four hours and hasn't came out. So I removed it and just turned the room light on.

brian&goliath

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ts dont like light at all although due to bad eyesight red or black bulbs are fine, just curious but did u say you had it at the window? Direct sunlight will dry your T out in few hours