what does "well ventilated" mean for an avic sling?

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well my A. purpurea is about to arrive and i'm so excited about it's color and rarity that i forgot to make its new home. should i just punch a lot of pin holes on the top, or should i go along the sides of the deli container as well? is there even a thing as too much?

ddale

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I did both. I have several holes in the lid and several down the sides. I placed the holes on the side opposite each other to allow for cross-ventilation. That's what everyone seemed to recommend on similar posts for Avic. versicolor. I'm not sure about Avic. purpurea.

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well i just bent my safety pin trying to push a hole thru the side of a deli container, lol.
asked mom if her b/f had a sodering iron i could use....she seems to be under the impression sodering irons only connect things, but havent i read that people use them also to put holes thru plastic?

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Chuck,

Soldering irons are GREAT for melting holes into platic and even plexiglass. :D I used one to make my Avic enclosure and had absolutely no problems at all. It gets a bit smelly, so you may want to do it in a well-ventilated area.
As for ventilation, I soldered holes all over the backside of my Avic's enclosure, the top, and then 2 rows on the top parts of the side and 1 row on the bottom of the sides. :? (did that just sound confusing?) I left the front alone, but altogether I must have soldered around 100 holes in an enclosure where the base is 8" square and 18" tall.

---
Wendy
---

B.Munch

Arachnopeon
if you dont want to get melted plastic on your iron take a long nail put it through a piece of wood and hold the nail over a propane tourch.

Zoo Keeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you have a drill with a very small bit, try that. Good luck with your new T.

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Zoo Keeper said:
If you have a drill with a very small bit, try that. Good luck with your new T.
Yes... and be aware that a 1/2" sling can fit through a 1/8" hole... I found that out the hard way :eek:

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
"Well ventilated" should mean that the substrate does not remain excessively damp. Many new keepers, especially of arboreal species, overestimate the level of humidity required. Stagnant air is the enemy - not only because of excess moisture, but because of the pests - both fauna and flora - that dampness facilitates. Err on the side of caution. I recommend a gentle misting of the enclosure - never spraying at the spider, preferably on the opposite side and so that the substrate gets dampened - but the substrate should dry sufficiently within a day.

Cross ventilation is preferable than just having "holes" in the top, but each type of enclosure presents its own problems. Drilled, hot knife cut, melted with a soldering iron; whatever. Just ensure that there is sufficient ventilation without providing any means of escape. Cheers, Michael

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
how long can it survive in its shipping container? a film container with four holes, and cotton. i cant get the tools till later tonight, will she be ok?

EDIT:
how about if i put a safety pin over the oven, would that be like using a nail and blowtorch?

Last edited:

Ron_K

Arachnopeon
chuck said:
how long can it survive in its shipping container? a film container with four holes, and cotton. i cant get the tools till later tonight, will she be ok?

EDIT:
how about if i put a safety pin over the oven, would that be like using a nail and blowtorch?

It should be just fine over night in the shipping container. If you want to use a pin, I would recommend holding the pin or a small nail in a pair of needle nose pliars and heating the pin only over a gas flame of some sort (gas stove, barbeque lighter etc.) just don't try to do too much at a time. Allow enough time for the pliars to remain cool soi you don not burn yourself.

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
the pin over the flame worked!!!!
im all ready to put her in, but now im second guessing....is a quart too big for this .5" sling?

DracosBana

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You could also get a pinning vise (it's actually a really small drill) from a hobby store. The bits are a bit expensive, but they are incredibly small.

What size container would be ideal for .5" slings? I was thinking about getting some of these: 8.5 oz. FreshDate Tall Food Storage 3-1/8" x 4-1/4" x 2-1/8 from here: http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=178&PRODID=66160

Last edited:

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i just put the sling in a deli container that was used when i ordered a pint of wonton soup....i originally had a quart set up but i thought that was too big for this little guy