Spider bites tarantula???

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
In another thread that I posted, I mentioned that my P. miranda got the spasm syndrome and died after about 5 days. In doing a lot of brainstorming about possible causes, I've come up with a question: Is it possible that perhaps she was bitten by a house spider and died as a result of envenomation?
Here are some of the specifics:
She was fine Saturday morning and by night was in complete spasm.
She hadn't eaten in about a week and a half, but was fed from the same lot of crickets that my other tarantulas ate.
She was captive bred and a long term keep. I got her as a .75" spiderling and had her for about a year and 4 months before this happened.
I've occassionally found house spiders set up in my tarantula room, however I did not find one in her enclosure.
I know it migh be a stretch, but could it be possible? She was very healthy and exciting to watch (very quick) up until she got the spasm syndrome.
I'm planning on sending the dead tarantula out for research, but am curious what you all think.
Ralph

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Have you seen other flying insects, such as scutter flies and phorid flies near your T's and feeder crickets? Did you keep your P. Miranda in moist substrate?

Last edited:

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
rknralf said:
In another thread that I posted, I mentioned that my P. miranda got the spasm syndrome and died after about 5 days. In doing a lot of brainstorming about possible causes, I've come up with a question: Is it possible that perhaps she was bitten by a house spider and died as a result of envenomation?
It's more likely that it was caused by a pesticide, possibly eating something that was exposed to pesticide, mold/fungus, bacteria infection. How are your other tarantulas?

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nearly anything's possible

I've fed bees, hornets and wasps to Avicularias and other arboreal and semi-arboreal tarantulas, and have seen them get stung.

All of them, if stung at all, were stung on the first attempt at tackling this specific prey.

After that, they seemed to somehow recognize the vibration of that type of prey, and while attacking and eating with gusto (they apparently relish the buggers), they do so in a way so as to be very careful not to be stung again, manuevering the prey around in their legs and pedipalps in such a way so as to cause the stinger to be an ineffective weapon! My point is, while the venoms are likely very different, my personal uneducated opinion, and best guess, is that it wasn't from spider envenomation.

I have heard of this type of behavior/death from pesticides, nerve damage, and successive (over many generations) inbreeding. Not to say that spider envenomation is impossible as a cause! :)

I'm sorry to hear you lost your P. miranda! My condolances.