Overweight spider?

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is it unhealthy for a G rosea to have a large rump. I have seen several big butt T's paraded proudly on the site, but how healthy is it. My Lucy has been getting larger in the abdomen area and I was worried that it might not be good for her.

Jeri

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
About three crickets, twice a week. I try to feed on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Jeri

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jeri said:
About three crickets, twice a week. I try to feed on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Jeri

That sounds like a good feeding schedual (sp)...

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Mine may eat once a week, 3-5 crickets at a time, for a few months. But then they fast, fast, and fast some more. Once they get to a certain size, a G.rosea is going to stop eating... Likely for a pretty long time. Expect a diet starting in a couple months

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mendi is right. my rosie has been fasting for aleast 3 months now . I wouldnt worry about it

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The big female that I have hasn't refused food at all since I've had her. Guess some are more piggish than others :D Big butts aren't a bad thing unless they get to the point of dragging the ground or something, I don't think.

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Yeah, all my rosies fast for a long time. I have one that hasn't eaten in 6 months! And she is fat as can be ;) I think they are cute!

But I also think they KNOW when to stop overeating.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Tarangela said:
Yeah, all my rosies fast for a long time. I have one that hasn't eaten in 6 months! And she is fat as can be ;) I think they are cute!

But I also think they KNOW when to stop overeating.
I agree. I have never been able to over feed a tarantula.

protheus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Jeri said:
Is it unhealthy for a G rosea to have a large rump. I have seen several big butt T's paraded proudly on the site, but how healthy is it. My Lucy has been getting larger in the abdomen area and I was worried that it might not be good for her.
Well, if you're worried, you can try replacing some of her crickets with textured soy protien, but I don't know how well she'd like it ;)

Chris

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Jeri said:

Jeri
Jeri.How long have you had this spider?If its a female,it might have been exposed to a male and might be gravid.I have a female A.Seemanni that dropped an eggsack about 3 months after I got her.Just a thought...Rich

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
bluerich74 said:
Jeri.How long have you had this spider?If its a female,it might have been exposed to a male and might be gravid.I have a female A.Seemanni that dropped an eggsack about 3 months after I got her.Just a thought...Rich
I got her in January. She was small enough at the time that I suspect she was captive bred, and she has molted since then, so I doubt she's cooking up an egg sack. This whole thing was really just a projection of my own insecurity. I'm overweight, and I know how unhealthy it is, so I got worried when she looked like she was getting so big. She'll probably start another fast soon. She had only eaten about three crickets between when I got her in January and when she molted in April. Then she became an eating powerhouse.

Thank you for all the responses, I do feel much better now.

Jeri

Rico

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Theres nothing wrong with a little cushion for the pushin as a wise man once told me. Thanks dad. Not that it applies to T's, but its always fun to say. Can a T really overeat, and explode???? i dont think so, but hey maybe its happened before.