ID help and some newbie questions

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got this T from a local pet store advertised as a "True Zebra". (pictured below). I cross refferenced that and found the name Eupalastrus campestratus but looking at photos I see many more likely possibilities.

Based on this pic what else do I need to look at to further narrow it down?

In a lot of similar threads I see people told to check markings on the underside which makes me wonder about handling Ts. What is a safe and stress free method for checking their undersides? I have an Avic that hangs out on the wall of the enclosure so a 360 view isn't difficult. but this guy sits flat on the ground.

What is the best method for picking them up - getting them to walk on your hand or is there a safe way to grip their midsection to lift them? Would gripping their midsection only be suitable for spiders over a certain size if at all?

More Pics located here

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Looks to me like a A.seemanni (not totally sure) by the other pics. Some ppl put there hands in front of them **in a safe distance just in case it doesn't want to be held** and use there fingers to lead the tarantula on its hand. and let it walk from there. I would be in a position though to be close to the floor to just incase it was to fall.If its a A.seemanni they are known to be skittish so when holding becareful.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The T in the pic looks to be Aphonopelma seemanni, you can notice brownish-tan spinnerettes.

Andy

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Yeah, that's A.seemanni, or a "true" Zebra tarantula. I guess they are "true" do to the Pink Zebra Beauties, or E.campestratus coming on the scene kinda recently :rolleyes: :)

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Holding this one is robably going to wait actually - it charges the forceps when I am getting stray cricket legs out of the cage. Also examaning it through a magnifying lense shows a healing crack on the metatarsus of leg LI (vaguely visible in the photo).

Hoping when he settles in more the aggression will temper a bit.