Grammostola/Lasiodora Mix

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am interested in what you all will think about this idea. I have a mature male L.parahybana and I can't seem to find a female for it. I have a female but she won't have anything to do with him. She is only 6 inches and may not be mature yet. They have been put together over 12 times and she just slaps him and he runs. I've left them together over night but in the mornig he was in the top corner exactly where he was the previous evening. I have put it up on the Canadian forum and I got no response. Well I don't want to just let him die with out trying.

Now I have 3 adult female G.roseas, one of them molted at the end of may and I have been feeding her all she will eat, 3 or 4 crix a day. As soon as she starts refusing food I plan to put the Male L.parahybana in with her. I realize there might be a death. Do you think though, there might be a slim chance?

azbanshee44

Arachnopeon
Now I have 3 adult female G.roseas, one of them molted at the end of may and I have been feeding her all she will eat, 3 or 4 crix a day. As soon as she starts refusing food I plan to put the Male L.parahybana in with her
:eek: EEEEEk! Oh know I can't belive you asked this. Will NOT work! BTW-Prepare for the flood gates to open on this one. :eek:

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well if you have an adult male L. parahybana (ca. 25-28 cm legspan) and try to mate him with an adult G. rosea (ca. 14-16 cm legspan) the chance is that both will get fatally harmed in the process are very very high and with two different and distant related genera the chances for any offspring whatsoever are virtually non existant. I could digress into the hordes of reasons why hybridization is generally really really bad for the hobby as a whole, but the prospect of your project is futile anyway. I would rather suggest that you find another fellow hobbyist in your area with an adult L. parahybana female and share the male with him/her. Chances are that the female is receptive and if the mating proves succesful then with batch sizes in the range of 1200 spiderlings it's not really that bad to split an eggsac 50/50 with a fellow enthusiast ;-)

Very Best Regards
Søren

David Burns said:
I am interested in what you all will think about this idea. I have a mature male L.parahybana and I can't seem to find a female for it. I have a female but she won't have anything to do with him. She is only 6 inches and may not be mature yet. They have been put together over 12 times and she just slaps him and he runs. I've left them together over night but in the mornig he was in the top corner exactly where he was the previous evening. I have put it up on the Canadian forum and I got no response. Well I don't want to just let him die with out trying.

Now I have 3 adult female G.roseas, one of them molted at the end of may and I have been feeding her all she will eat, 3 or 4 crix a day. As soon as she starts refusing food I plan to put the Male L.parahybana in with her. I realize there might be a death. Do you think though, there might be a slim chance?

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Look at the keel structure on male's emboli. The shape won't fit. Hybridization ethics aside, that dawg just won't hunt ;)

-Garrick

eight

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I though I'd get a more emotional response. The reason I asked was to get different opinions and I get a couple. First, they are both under 14 cm.. But I hadn't considered the embolus shape difference,a very good point. I have tried to find a female for him and will continue to do so. But I'll probably just have to let him live out his remaining time making sperm webs and circling his container. Has anyone ever tried artificial insemination with Ts?

By the way I have 2 juvenile males that I'm hoping to mate with my female when she is older.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
rosehaired1979 said:
Well if ya mate the female be prepared for around or over 2000 slings
I realize it will be quite an experience. I hear they are quite small at first and a few might die but it will be good practice. I might be able to get rid of a few to friends and nephews. I might be able to trade the rest to my breeder/dealer for credit on other Ts.

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A parahybana male with a 14 cm legspan? That's unusual - and small - usually they are HUGE longlegged critters with 20+ cm legspan. Are you sure it's a parahybana? Or maybe it's the "runt of the litter" - which may be why the female rejects him?

Very Best Regards
Søren

David Burns said:
Well I though I'd get a more emotional response. The reason I asked was to get different opinions and I get a couple. First, they are both under 14 cm.. But I hadn't considered the embolus shape difference,a very good point. I have tried to find a female for him and will continue to do so. But I'll probably just have to let him live out his remaining time making sperm webs and circling his container. Has anyone ever tried artificial insemination with Ts?

By the way I have 2 juvenile males that I'm hoping to mate with my female when she is older.

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To be honest with you dude, no one will want to buy a cross breed as you will most likely sit on them for a while, even if you manage to produce slings. They are kinda like dogs, most people wants the pure breeds, not the mutts. If I had the choice between a pure breed and a mutt, I would choose the pure breed.

Plus, I thought Ts only in the same genus could breed successfully?

They may look cool (like this Click Here!), but will be unwanted, most likely. I think I am right on this one, but correct me if I am wrong.

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I like hybrids because they are different! That doesnt mean i am supporting hybrids though.

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
manville said:
I like hybrids because they are different! That doesnt mean i am supporting hybrids though.
There are PLENTY of different pure breed Ts you could get before you need to resort to cross breeds. Ya know?

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Has anyone ever tried artificial insemination with Ts?

The closest thing to doing that is something I've read a long time ago while researching about Ts. I came across a site that had detailed instructions on how to make a box to hold a T for mating purposes. It was to be used in cases where the owner wanted to make sure the male was not eaten. The female is put into a box with wooden sides and the top and bottom are made of plexiglass. On the bottom side there would be an opening at the center of the plexiglass so the male had access to the female. This box was small enough not to cramp the female but small enough to restrain her so she couldn't turn around or flip over. I don't remember where I saw this but it looked like it would work. I've never had any reason to try it and I don't recall anyone else here doing that. Most people just take their chances that the male will get attacked instead of forcing them to pair up.
And I would suggest using a female of the same species.

Last edited:

protheus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Spider-man 2 said:
To be honest with you dude, no one will want to buy a cross breed as you will most likely sit on them for a while, even if you manage to produce slings. They are kinda like dogs, most people wants the pure breeds, not the mutts. If I had the choice between a pure breed and a mutt, I would choose the pure breed.
Well, probably you couldn't sell them; you might be able to give at least a number of them away. Wouldn't try it with these two, though, just because of what's been said in the way of risk to both spiders.

When you breed spiders, there's always the problem of having so many young which you have no idea what to do with. ;) I would guess in any hybrid, that the clutch size would be determined by the female.

Chris

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
phormingochilus said:
A parahybana male with a 14 cm legspan? That's unusual - and small - usually they are HUGE longlegged critters with 20+ cm legspan. Are you sure it's a parahybana? Or maybe it's the "runt of the litter" - which may be why the female rejects him?

Very Best Regards
Søren
I agree he is small for his species. He had just molted in the pet store and when I pointed out it was a male they said it couldn't be mature b/c it was so small. Needless to say i bought it with the intent of mating it with my female. I understood the male of certain species are smaller then the full size of the female. I was unaware if this applied to L.parahybana. The female is only 6 inches is that too small for it to be mature? I have been told otherwise on this forum. But I am the first to admit that the information given out here is far from scientific.
As I have already said I won't be trying this experimental mating. The marketability of the offsping I admit would be small. But as with all experiments the results might have suprised us.

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It all comes down to this.....they are your Ts, do what you want with them. I can say that people will agree and disagree with what you do, so if something goes wrong during the breeding, be careful if you post it, cause we will just say," told ya so." :D

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Spider-man 2 said:
There are PLENTY of different pure breed Ts you could get before you need to resort to cross breeds. Ya know?
I get your point. But i think it is just nice to have something really different.

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
manville said:
I get your point. But i think it is just nice to have something really different.
Yeah, I guess it would be. Still, the pure bred Ts you don't have are different too. ;)

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Spider-man 2 said:
Yeah, I guess it would be. Still, the pure bred Ts you don't have are different too. ;)
True. But you know what i mean!!!!I mean like different different that no one has seen before.

averagebehr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If your going to create a hybrid your best chances of success would be with lasidora cristata and a lassiodora difficillis female if you try with the rosey your sure to fail but with the above mentioned females your chances would be pretty good around here it seems people have a adversion to hybrids but i say try it if you want they are your livestock if babys are produced alot of people would still be interested if only for the oddity factor they would have no matter how many purest hobbiest they are who know you might create something special and unique that might hang around so go for it guy

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
averagebehr said:
If your going to create a hybrid your best chances of success would be with lasidora cristata and a lassiodora difficillis female if you try with the rosey your sure to fail but with the above mentioned females your chances would be pretty good around here it seems people have a adversion to hybrids but i say try it if you want they are your livestock if babys are produced alot of people would still be interested if only for the oddity factor they would have no matter how many purest hobbiest they are who know you might create something special and unique that might hang around so go for it guy
Lasidora females often have different idea’s when paired with a male of another Lasidora species im told by a friend who know’s, plus who has real “L.cristata” to hand :rolleyes: