So these guys are really awful???

KZoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is Myakka, my S. calceatum. Eric ("GONADS!!!"), I was not at all concerned about my ... er ... nether-regions, and Myakka has not been the devil incarnate that I have read about. Needless to say, I always get a read on their moods before any handling ... I was cleaning her home (I HOPE it's a girl!!!!) and just had to transfer her from her "holding vial" to the nice, clean cage. She is a gem ... I hold the vial in front of her, gently touch her butt, and in she marches. She usually just marches right back into her cage, but today, I had her make a pit-stop on me for a picture. She's waving, isn't that cute!!!

Attachments

GL3NE

Arachnopeon
Awwww...Nice spider. Maybe individual specimens vary greatly in disposition for every tarantula species.

*Flashback to receiving bite from Usumbara*

Or Maybe not. :)

-Glen

vespa_bicolor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow!! It seems that quite a number of Stromatopelma are actually not the vicious creatures they're often portrayed as. My friend used to have a docile one, and I had one too, long ago. Though I admit, after being bitten once (an accident from squeezing her leg) I never handled another baboon or Poecilotheria of any sort again! :eek:

Anyway, that's a lovely specimen, looks really well-fed too! :D

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes it is said that their venom can be very potent. I wouldn't handle it just for that very reason. I wouldn't want to take the risk of it.

Zombie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That is just awesome.

Makes me want to run down to the office and pull out our big female.

On second thought...